Pages

Monday, February 13, 2023

In the Nick of Time

It's a strange Monday morning here, but to explain why, I need to back up a bit.

Like many men, the Mister frequently gets up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. Often I'll wake up just enough to notice he's getting up, look at the clock to see if it's time to get up or not, and then roll over and go back to sleep. In the early morning hours yesterday, the Mister got up, and as I was rolling over, I heard him making some noise in the bathroom. Then he went downstairs before coming back to get his phone. It turns out that we had almost no water pressure, and when he went to investigate, he found it wasn't an issue in our house but rather with the water utility -- a pump in the system had lost power, which caused the loss in pressure. It did come back a short time later (we could hear the tank in the toilet refilling), but when we got up, we learned that some areas of the city were under a boil water advisory (luckily not us). 

Fast-forward to yesterday afternoon, when we got an email that Rainbow's school would be closed today because it is in one of the advisory zones -- so she gets to be home with me! Hence the unusual Monday morning. I did not mind at all not having to drag her out of bed this morning!

But back to the usual blog content. Yesterday I was determined to finish up one last project for a make-along I've been involved with that went along with the NFL football season. I spent several hours at my wheel yesterday, but I did manage to finish up the second skein of my combo spin. This is a really crummy photo because I took it before the sun was fully up in order to get it entered, but here are both skeins:

The purple skein comes in at approximately 254 yards, and now I can officially say that I have plenty of yarn for the pair of mittens (Ravelry link) I have planned for it. These will be cast on very soon because they're for another make-along; I think I mentioned that I'll be heading back to SSK this summer, and there are monthly knitalongs leading up to the event featuring patterns from the teachers. This month's featured teacher is the amazing Jillian Moreno, and all of her patterns and all the patterns from her book are eligible. So I'll be doing my very best to knit up a pair before the end of the month!

For those keeping track, I've officially spun up six bags of Southern Cross Fibre shipments so far this year. That's already halfway to my goal of spinning up a total of 12! I can't imagine that I'll keep up the pace for the entire year, but I'm pretty happy with how well it's going thus far.

13 comments:

  1. Those yarns will make gorgeous mittens, Sarah! I am glad you did not have more major water disruptions... no water is such a bother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful yarn, Sarah. I just love those colors -- and especially together. :-) Enjoy your "bonus day" with Rainbow. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of those yarns are beautiful and they will pair perfectly in the mittens! My high school colors were purple and gold and I've never really liked them together - until now! Have a great day with Rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those yarns are absolutely glorious and will be wonderful in those mittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those two yarns look beautiful together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pretty yarns - especially together. Glad to hear your water woes are over! Enjoy the extra day with Rainbow!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that color combination, your mittens are going to be beautiful. I admire your dedication to spinning... I've had the same fiber on my wheel for almost 3 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad your water was only momentarily impacted, we take it for granted and it's so important. I hope you had a good day with Rainbow and weren't plagued with any teenage grumpiness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew for the water! and yay for the yarn! I wondered why you were so anxious to knit mittens for your July retreat ... and now I get it :-) Happy, too, that I won't have to wait very long to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous 'jewel' colors, Sarah. (Oh, those middle-of-the-night-spousal-wake-ups royally screw up my sleep!!) Kudos to you for being ahead. It's so helpful to your future you, just in case other things pop up as the winter becomes spring...and spring becomes summer... While you may very well exceed your goal, it's nice to have the margin of closing in on it early!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I love those skeins! They're going to look so great as the mittens you've picked out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those skeins are beautiful together. The mittens will be so pretty. How much fun will it be to take a class from Jillian Moreno. I hope all the local water issues are resolved by now. There is nothing like time without running water (or water pressure) to make me grateful for clean running water.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This picture made me gasp - so gorgeous! I'm glad that your water wasn't affected by that snafu and that Rainbow got to enjoy a day at home! But I hope things got back to normal today :)

    ReplyDelete