Pages

Monday, February 27, 2023

Embrace in 2023: February

 

It's the last Monday of the month, and that means it's time to check in with my One Little Word. Be sure to check in with Carolyn's link-up to see everyone's updates (and thanks, Carolyn, for hosting this monthly virtual get-together!).

I had to think a bit to figure out what I have embraced this month. There are the obvious things -- crafting, reading, getting outside and enjoying record high temperatures -- but those are things I've embraced in general and don't have to make a special effort to do. But last night we took my mother out to dinner, and it occurred to me that that simple act is pretty representative of something I have embraced in particular this month.

In generally, I'm a pretty cautious person. I'm a rule follower and avoid taking big risks. But there is such a thing as playing it too safe and missing out on life. And this month, even though it made me a little nervous, I did embrace some calculated risks going to out eat in restaurants, something I have not been comfortable doing for about three years. This is not something that's been easy for me. I've always been a germophobe and very uncomfortable in large crowds, so being out in public in cold and flu season when there's still a pandemic on is not something I've really wanted to do. But this month we had plans to go out with some friends, something we have not done in a long time, so I had to weigh the risks. Our community COVID levels have been low for a while, and flu cases have dropped significantly. We're all boosted (with the bivalent booster) and have had our flu shot. And truly I've been almost self-isolating at home because I'm still working remotely full time and don't go out much (and when I do go places, I'm still masking). So I decided I could accept a bit of risk. And you know what? It was okay. I won't say I wasn't a little anxious, but I think it was good for me to get out of my comfort zone a bit.

There's a fine line between being careful and living your life in fear, and the truth is that I can be extremely careful and still get sick. It's also not realistic for me to stay home and not see anyone but my immediate family, so there will be times when I'm going to need to live with risk. I don't think I'm going to ditch the mask anytime soon, but I feel like I've taken a healthy step forward in living my life in this new normal.

10 comments:

  1. I, also, am at the "risk assessment" point of life. We are not going out to eat either although for a very different reason (hip pain that does not appreciate sitting for any amount of time) but I understand completely your anxiousness. In my mind, I am all good... and even contemplate not masking at the market... and then someone coughs and I am so happy I have not let go of this habit yet!

    I think the best part of this is your thoughts on being careful and living in fear... the best advice! XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always a struggle to find that line between risk and fear. I'm with you and not willing to subject myself or my family to greatly increased risk, but I also want to have some fun with those people. I've kept wearing a mask, not only for covid, but also to protect against flu, colds, and any other nasty viruses that come down the pike. Here's to embracing life (with a mask except when eating).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two phrases I read multiple times here with great appreciation: '...there is such a thing as playing it too safe and missing out on life...' and 'There's a fine line between being careful and living your life in fear...'
    One of my closest friends has a very different level of risk-taking than I do, and I've found it to be a new kind of 'grace' to respond/react without judging where someone else is with it all...as long as there's mutual respect in the space (!!!). (And as long as there's respect for CDC guidelines.) The pace of adjusting to/adopting new normals will certainly come differently to all of us.
    'Embrace' feels like such a good word for these times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear that you are embracing being out in the world a little more. I think the pandemic showed many of us that we can survive in isolation but now the trick is to let go of that and survive in the world again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kinds of risk assessments are not anything we learned about growing up ... I wonder how different it will be for kids in Rainbow's generation to navigate. Something tells me they'll be better at balancing the nuance. and still, it's good practice for us. And what an interesting way to flex your embrace muscle in this first month!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great reflection. We have been easing up too but I had not stopped to really think about it. As a person who tends to leap before I look, I appreciate hearing from others about how they are learning to walk that line between being careful and living in fear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy to hear that you're starting to take steps to find your new normal. And you're absolutely right - you can do everything "right" and still catch some sort of pesky bug, It's risky and we all have to do what feels right. Good job listening to your instincts and still pushing yourself a little further - it's a hard line to draw and it sounds like you're doing what makes sense for you. Brava!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a terrific reflection, Sarah! It's a good thing to "embrace life" and enjoy living -- but what that "means," exactly, is so very personal. I'm glad you're embracing life along the living-with-Covid continuum on YOUR terms and within the bounds of your personal comfort level. XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we are all beginning to ease up a bit. Going out to eat occasionally, meeting up with friends. I personally don't mask as much as I used to, but I still do a lot of the time. It's all about finding a balance and doing what works for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a smart way to think about embracing and navigating the health risks in the current world. I can so identify about being cautious and following rules. I am gently easing myself back into social situations but it does cause anxiety. Your reflections about risk assesssment are helpful.

    ReplyDelete