Pages

Friday, February 10, 2023

Friday Finishes

How is it that the days go by so quickly but the weekend always seems to take so long to come around? That's certainly been the case this week, likely because I've had a grumpy teenager on my hands for several days (nothing major, she's just moody). So I'm looking forward to the weekend.

Yesterday ended up being a busy work day, so I'm delighted to finish up the week with a couple of finished projects. First, after speeding through all the singles of my first combo spin skein, I was able to ply and wash Wednesday afternoon. I had to play with some photo editing to get the colors to come out something close to reality for this photo (the gloom we've been having makes everything look totally washed out on camera), but here it is:

The yarn came out pretty much perfectly sport weight, which is what I was aiming for, though I only have about 238 yards in this skein, which is less than I would have expected for the amount of fiber. So the yarn is pretty dense and perhaps a tad overplied, but I am planning to use it for colorwork mittens, so both features should add to the durability. The purple fiber underneath the finished skein has now been split up into a bunch of little bundles, divided into three, and is ready to be spun to match. I plan to start that spinning today.

Just before bed last night, I finished another WIP:

I tried several times to get a photo of this on my head, but between the bad lighting and my not-so-great selfie skills, every shot was a fail. So you'll have to settle for a flat lay for now. This is my version of the Musselburgh-style hat, using the pattern that's currently with my tech editor as well as my recipe for a top-down swirl crown hat using any yarn and any gauge. I used size 4 (3.5 mm) needles for this one and used up nearly all of my yarn -- I had a heavy skein (108 g to start) and used 104 g. The hat is large enough that I can fold up the brim a couple of inches and it's still got a bit of slouch in the length. And I just love the colors. I will have to have Rainbow take a photo of me or model it for me so you can see it on an actual head.

My plan for today (assuming work cooperates) is to start spinning the purple fiber, because I'd love to have a finished skein by the end of the weekend. The Mister and I have plans to go out to dinner with some friends and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law tomorrow evening (Rainbow will be hanging out with my in-laws and her cousins), but we've got nothing else on tap, so I expect I'll be able to get a lot done. We're likely going to watch the Super Bowl, though we're not too invested in who wins (I suppose we should root for the Eagles, given that they're from the same state and I lived in Philadelphia for a number of years?). I've promised the Mister I'll make Ina's Chicken Chili, but now that he's recovered, he'll be doing the shopping again.

Here's hoping it's a good weekend for all of us. See you back here on Monday!


11 comments:

  1. That is a very cute hat (and I think I like the top much better than the Musselburgh!) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A moody teenager, who knew? As a former moody teenager myself and having raised two of them, there may be more moodiness. But your handspun and fiber are gorgeous and I love that hat! I agree with Kat, that swirl crown is an improvement. Like you, I'm not invested in the Super Bowl at all and probably won't watch it, but may make chili just because. Here's hoping you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that hat! It turned out exquisitely!! Question for a pro: Is there any obvious reason my tension is never even?Your stitches are all the same size. Mine are...not. Just in case you have an 'Oh, of course' answer that's easy to dash off. Thanks :-)
    I hope you have a wonderful dinner out tomorrow night! And maybe a change of scenery/cast of characters is just the thing for a moody teen...?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful hat!

    Have a great night out and ......................GO BIRDS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hat looks fabulous, Sarah -- and those stripes are so wonderul. Love the colors. Enjoy your weekend . . . and sorry about the moody teen. In my experience, that just kind of . . . picks up steam for awhile. But it won't last forever, and it's usually intermittent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the increases on your hat! and think those colorwork mittens are going to be fabulous. We are not making plans to watch the game ... but I do love the pre-game nonsense, halftime (Rihanna!), and snacks for dinner! also, lots of knitting time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures today have a gorgeous theme: gold! Your post is making me think about forsythia -- I totally have spring flowers on the brain! And I can't wait to try out your hat pattern - it sounds so versatile and perfect.

    I hope work cooperated with your quiet day -- how lucky are you to be able to spin during the day like that??! I never root for any football team, but Matthew is rooting for the Chiefs. He's a New Englander through and through and considers Philadelphia a "second rate city who needs to act like they've been there before." The smugness of New Englanders is unreal! It's one of the worst parts of living here, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, those moody teen days. Hannah was rather . . . difficult . . . at the age of 13 but it passed and it's how they're supposed to grow up. I love your hat, the colors are stripes are really terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. No advice on the moody teen. My two were boys and had little if any hormonal moodiness. Love your hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know this is just a phase that we have to get through -- and she's been in a much better mood this weekend now that she's gotten some extra sleep!

      Delete
  10. Beautiful spinning and fiber. The colors are gorgeous together. I hope you are having a nice weekend. The weather here is quite nice so I've had two good walks.

    ReplyDelete