Pages

Friday, February 24, 2023

TGIF

Happy Friday, friends. I'm not sure why, but this week has felt especially long, so I'm very happy to see Friday finally arrive. After a beautiful day of false spring yesterday, in which we set a new record with our third day in February to hit or pass 70 degrees F, we are back to winter temps and gloom today. I will soon be bundling up for my walk and heading out into it.

I mentioned on Wednesday that I was gearing up to start a Love Note sweater, and now I can officially say that I'm ready to cast on. I swatched and am close enough on my gauge (I'm half a stitch off over four inches, but this fabric is so flexible that I'm pretty sure that's good enough).

The fabric is much lighter in color than I expected, and it's a little out there for me, but I'm going with it. When I cast on, I'll be alternating skeins, which means I'll have four strands of yarn going at once, but this seems to be such a fast knit for most people that I think I can manage. I'm going to be knitting a size small (41.5 in. bust), which will give me about six inches of positive ease. And I'll be knitting on size 8/5 mm needles, which are sure to feel like broomsticks to me!

Meanwhile, I'm closing in on the toe of Rainbow's Felici sock (the first sock of the pair), which got a fair amount of attention yesterday.


On top of today's to-do list, though, is some handspun plying. I finished up the third and final bobbin of singles for my current spin yesterday afternoon, and as long as work cooperates, I should be able to ply, skein, and wash today.

I've got a couple of Zooms this weekend, and my mother is coming home from Florida on Sunday, so I'm planning to have her over for dinner on Sunday. Other than that, I'll be doing the usual weekend chores, getting in some extra crafting and reading time, and trying to catch up on some sleep. I hope you have a good weekend, and I'll see you back here on Monday for February's One Little Word check-in!

9 comments:

  1. It is so interesting to see how your yarns are blending. This is going to be beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an interesting combination of yarns and I'm anxious to see your Love Note! I'm using sz 8 needles for my current Sophie shawl and they do feel big. I'm a bit clumsier with them than the usual 3s for a Hitchhiker. Hope you have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Size 8 needles sound so large!! And I know I used to use them a lot. Your yarns together are so pretty. Your Lovenote is going to be lovely Sarah. I think your weather is headed our way and I am not looking forward to that. Already windows are rattling and birdhouses are swinging in the wind! Love the socks you are knitting - so cheerful. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the subtle striping in your swatch. That's going to make a very cozy sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do I ever love those socks. I'm such a sucker for stripes! Hope you have a restful and restorative weekend. Sometimes the gray, gloomy days are good for that. (And have fun casting on!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that swatch!!! LoveNote is one of my favorite sweaters - I bought the yarn in England when I was there to help Sara settle in (August 2019) and I knit it the following February to debut the last Sunday before everything shut down (early March 2020). I would love to make it again and your bright colors are inspiring! Enjoy reconnecting with your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your swatch is so gorgeous! And I think your sweater is going to fly off your needles. I hope your weekend is wonderful - full of fiber, reading, and family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That swatch is beautiful. I'm anxious to see how your LoveNote takes shape. The socks look great. I haven't knit with Felici for such a long time. I hope you have time for some rest and crafting this weekend. Enjoy having your Mom home too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am cheering with everyone else on that swatch! It is gorgeous!! I hope this week will be exactly what you need!

    ReplyDelete