Pages

Friday, September 22, 2023

Are We There Yet?

Happy Friday, friends. I haven't tested negative yet, but yesterday I was feeling so close to normal that I decided to test again and only got a faint positive line. The same thing happened to Mo the day before she tested negative, so I'm hoping today is the day I can finally be released from isolation. It would be a good day for it, too -- it's the Mister's birthday! At the moment my only symptom is some lingering sinus congestion, but it's really hard to separate how much of it is COVID and how much of it is allergies. I'll test again around lunchtime today. Please send me some positive thoughts (ha!) for a negative result!

Thanks to a board meeting on Wednesday evening, I was able to finish plying my latest skein of handspun, and I skeined and washed it yesterday. I'm happy with this one, even though I really put in minimal effort.

I had to use my editing app to put a filter on this to get the colors more accurate, because it was getting blown/washed out in every photo I took. This was one of last year's Tour de Fleece prize colorways, Sprinter Green, and it was on Polwarth wool. So that the different shades of green would be more broken up, I split the fiber into four long strips before I started spinning and spun all four end to end onto one bobbin. When the singles were done, I wound them into a center-pull ball and plied from both ends. The finished yarn is sport weight and approximately 323 yards. And I'd no sooner gotten this skein all finished than I pulled out the next bag to spin, in this case the other TdF prize colorway.

This is a rather luxurious blend of 50% Bond wool, 25% Suri alpaca, and 25% mulberry silk. I am spinning this one exactly the same way, though I think the finished yarn will likely be lace weight to fingering because the singles are coming out finer (silk will do that!)

I've also made some good progress on my current pair of socks:

That thin line of bright turquoise is the waste yarn for my afterthought heel, so technically I'm working on the foot of these now. This style of heel doesn't fit me quite as well as a traditional flap and gusset, but there is something rather nice about just cruising from leg to foot.

This weekend's plans are a little up in the air, as they're all dependent on my testing negative, but assuming that happens, the Mister and I will be running the Great Race 5K on Sunday morning, and then we'll all be celebrating Yom Kippur Sunday evening and Monday. I'm really hoping to be able to make it to services on Sunday because our family has been given an honor of holding a Torah, and as I missed out on another honor at Rosh Hashanah services already, I'd really like to have this one! So please keep those fingers crossed. I don't know if I'll be posting on Monday or not, but I will see you back here at some point next week.

5 comments:

  1. Sending all positive wishes for a negative and that you can celebrate your husband's birthday and Yom Kippur, and run the Great Race. That handspun skein is really beautiful and I'm looking forward to the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sending you all the good vibes and juju for a negative test result today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crossing my fingers AND sending good vibes out into the universe for a negative test in the morning. It's hard to miss those very special holidays and getting to hold the Torah is a particular honor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sending all the good thoughts for a negative test so you can participate in the services and holiday. As always, your spinning is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping to read a late-day "P.S." here...! Sending ALL the good juju your way. How great would that be, just in time for birthday and the rest of holidays?!

    (And those greens are gorgeous.)

    Fingers and toes crossed.

    ReplyDelete