Pages

Friday, September 08, 2023

Finishes and Starts

Why is it that sometimes the shorter weeks feel longer than the regular ones? I can only think it's been the heat here this week -- we officially had a heat wave, with three days hitting 90ยบ F or higher. (I even ran on one of those days, and it was very much Not Fun.) But it's Friday, and we had some rain move through yesterday (including when I thought I was in the clear and went out for a walk, only have to run home in a downpour), so things are looking up.

I know this will likely come as a surprise to none of you, but I did finish the socks for my sister-in-law on Wednesday evening, thanks in part to a rabbi search Zoom meeting. I blocked them yesterday, so today they're all ready to be wrapped up and presented to her at dinner.


After I was so successful in focusing on that project on Wednesday, I decided to do the same with my current spinning project yesterday and finished all my singles, so today I am ready to ply.


While I'm wrapping up my WIPs, I'm also starting some new projects. Yesterday was kickoff day for the Down Cellar Studio Pigskin Party (and the NFL season), and that meant casting on some new projects because WIPs aren't allowed for this make-along. Obviously I had to cast on some new socks, so I dove into my SSK stash and pulled out the skein I brought home from Woolens and Nosh and cast on.

The other project I started is a crocheted corner-to-corner blanket using five of the six skeins from the Fibernymph Dye Works sweater kit that I wound up last week. I made a swatch a couple of days ago, weighed and measured it, and did some math to figure out how big a blanket I could make with the yarn I have and the measurements for it. I'll admit I had to do a bit of Googling to help with the last step, but I'm pretty sure I got it right, and I have a bit of extra yarn should I need it (I did my calculations based on 100 g skeins, but all of mine are a few grams more than that).

Today should be a quiet day at work -- my boss's mother-in-law passed away earlier this week, so she is off for the funeral today -- so I am hoping I can take care of plying that bobbin of singles and make some progress on one or both of the new projects. We have a bat mitzvah to attend tomorrow and thankfully nothing planned on Sunday, so I'm hoping the weekend will be a good reset. Here's hoping it's a good one for you, too!

7 comments:

  1. Such pretty things! all of them. Your blanket looks really interesting (I've only ever crocheted granny squares) and I really like the yarn from Fibernymph that you are using for that. My weekend will be NJ Sheep & Wool on Saturday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll say it again--lucky SIL! And I'm so happy to see that recent colorway going into a new project so fast, because I loved those golden colors and will enjoy watching their 'becoming.'
    (I thought of you and how you can knit through just about anything--*and* without looking. I screwed up a row knitting with my phone/flashlight by a campfire last weekend. Unfortunately, I was way too far up to go back. I'm soothing myself with the fact that it's the back of the sweater, though. Couldn't justify an unravel!)
    Happy weekend to you. Here's to a 5-day school week coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even though I am retired, those “short” weeks still throw me off. Hope your weather cools soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your NFL projects look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ditto Juliann's comment! also, that crochet blanket is off to a great start! I'm curious about the stripes - and looking forward to watching as it grows...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope the weekend is a good reset for you. After having several busy weeks with family (they were great and I loved every minute) I decided to take it easy this weekend. I love the new socks and the blanket. Short weeks do tend to throw off the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you are finding joy and rest in your weekend! (your making is so lovely! I just love those Autumnal Striped Socks! They are gorgeous!)

    ReplyDelete