Pages

Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Unraveled, Week 36/2023

A nice side benefit of having a three-day weekend is that when you feel like the week is just getting started, it's already Wednesday! Time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers.

 
I'm slowly but surely working my way through the foot of the second sock of this pair; I finished the gusset decreases while we were at mahj on Monday. Today is actually my sister-in-law's birthday, so I'm hoping I can finish these up in the next two days so I can give them to her on Friday when I see her next. Luckily she has the smallest feet among the person I knit socks for, so there's not a ton of knitting left.

I'm also still working on the current spin, which isn't surprising given how fine my singles are. I am, at least, on the second half of the fiber.


I haven't done a ton of reading in the last week because work got so busy, but I have managed to finish two books -- both of them rated 3 stars.

Study for Obedience was picked up because it's on the Booker Prize longlist. It's a small novel -- less than 200 pages -- but isn't an especially quick read. It feels very much like it was written a couple of centuries ago except for the occasional mention of modern technology. And it's very vague: The unnamed narrator has moved to an unnamed country to serve as housekeeper for her recently divorced brother. She doesn't speak the language, but we know that her Jewish family used to live in this country, and the implication is that they left to escape the Holocaust. As she tries to become part of the community, strange things begin to happen and there is overt hostility (and, presumably, anti-Semitism) toward her, leading to a reckoning that is similarly vague. It's a very strange book that doesn't have a clear resolution but is certainly one that will make you think.

I'd put Hello Beautiful on hold at the library because everyone seemed to be reading it and excited about it, and my hold finally came up late last week. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed with it. The story is intriguing but also rather predictable, and I have to say that I was thoroughly unimpressed with the writing. While I love a good story, I think what I value most in what I read is the writing and craft itself, and I didn't see much artistry in this book. There are a few spots where there was a nice turn of phrase, but in most cases the writing seemed very unsophisticated. There was a lot of telling and very little showing. I'm not sorry I read it, but I wouldn't rush to read any of the author's other books if this is typical of her writing style.


I'm still reading An Immense World and I've started my next title on the Booker list, How to Build a Boat.

What are you making and reading this week?



11 comments:

  1. What great birthday socks, Sarah. As always, I love the striped yarn you use for your socks . . . and should I ever get a hankering to knit socks again, I may need to try some for myself! (And in my experience, reading the Booker list books . . . kinda ruins you for the "popular" books of the day. Y'know?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are lovely fall socks and I bet you'll finish them by Friday. I haven't read Study for Obedience but I'm surprised it made the longlist. I don't think I'll be ordering it or reading it myself, especially with that off-putting cover. I felt much the same about Hello, Beautiful (and Dear Edward, too). I hope you have some four or five-star reads next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are the perfect Fall Sock! I hope you have time today to get them finished! :) I bet your sister-in-law will love them! (and despite these insane temps, sock weather is coming soon!

    I tried to read Dear Edward and it just sort of fell flat for me so I have not tried Hello Beautiful... your review makes that even less likely now! I hope your new book is good reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I do not like the cover of that Obedience book! BUT, your sister-in-law's socks are oh so pretty. I bet she will be very happy and anxious for Fall weather so she can wear them. Hoping next week brings you a better selection of books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colors in those sock stripes are utterly fantastic ;you have a capital-L Lucky SIL!!
    I've gotten 8 1/2" up the back of Linc's sweater...still reading Bel Canto at bedtime...and just started Jenny Odell's newest. But I feel no sense of urgency with anything. (Except with the sweater!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another beautiful striped sock! The making vibe is strong over here but the reading life is completely stalled. For now, I’m mostly reading patterns 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sister-in-law is going to love those socks. Wishing her a very happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I bet the rest of those socks will fly off the needles! Your singles are looking gorgeous, I can't wait to see how it plys up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheering on that second sock! and looking forward to your thoughts on How to Build a Boat (also admitting I set Obedience aside to read Prophet Song :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you can finish the socks in time and I bet that you will!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's hoping you are cruising to the end of those socks. I'm betting you will make your deadline. Sometimes books don't live up to their reputation. It's a good thing there are so many books in the world.

    ReplyDelete