Pages

Monday, September 11, 2023

So Much for Those Plans

I am happy to report that it was a very restful weekend. Unfortunately, that was unplanned and was due to Mo coming down with COVID over the weekend. She woke up Saturday with a slight fever, and so we tested her because we were supposed to go to a bat mitzvah (read: lots of people). She luckily isn't feeling too ill (low-grade fever and congestion), but it's a bummer. She was mostly upset that she exposed everyone in the family at Friday night dinner, but so far everyone seems to be okay. She'll be home with me for most if not all of the week (I think she'll be able to go back to school, masked, on Friday, provided she tests negative before then), and as a result of all this, we all ended up with a very quiet weekend.

One nice thing was that there were Zooms happening for much of the day on Saturday for the Pigskin Party, so both of us were able to join while we crafted for several hours. I made quite a lot of progress on my crocheted blanket, and yesterday I actually finished up the first skein and joined in the second. This project is very addictive, so I would not be surprised if it's finished very quickly!


The color change isn't quite as stark as it looks here; I think that's just because the sun isn't really out yet, so the lighting wasn't great when I took this photo. I've almost reached my target width, so pretty soon I'll start decreasing on one side so that it will start looking like a rectangle.

After I posted on Friday, I was able to ply the singles I shared in that post, and I have another lovely skein finished:

I chain-plied this one, and I ended up with approximately 456 yards of fingering. I love the autumnal shades in this colorway -- and I'm also celebrating the fact that this was my 24th bag of Southern Cross Fibre spun this year! That was my doubled goal, and I'm not stopping now. I've been keeping up such a pace of spinning these club shipments that I might as well continue the momentum, and if I do, I should be able to get caught up by early next year. My ultimate goal is that I have no SCF stash but rather spin up each club shipment in the month that it arrives.

For accountability purposes, here was the SCF stash (minus one bag that was hiding) at the beginning of the year, with the bags I've spun checked off:

And here is what is currently in the stash, though my next shipment is out for delivery today and there will be one more bag added:

I should have another skein finished this week as well because I started spinning up that blue/purple fiber in the bag at the top left on Saturday and am nearly finished with the second bobbin (I thought a thicker yarn was in order; this'll probably be DK or worsted when it's plied).


I am hoping that this week is slightly less exciting, not least because Rosh Hashanah starts Friday night and we really want everyone to be healthy for it! I will be baking challah for our family dinner and trying my hand at a round loaf (a round challah is traditional for the new year). Please send us all your good thoughts for health!

8 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor Mo! I am sending all the healthy thoughts your way that you all stay well and that Mo is better soon! (beautiful spinning though, as always!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear that Mo came down with Covid. Hopefully everyone will stay healthy and sending the healing juju out her way for a speedy recovery. I hope you will share a picture of your round challah! I'll be on vacation but will occasionally look at blogs on my phone (will not be taking a laptop with me). Beautiful spinning and you have some lovely fibers left.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry to hear that Mo has Covid but please tell her she's in excellent company! I hope everyone else stays healthy and is able to gather for Rosh Hashanah. I also hope you'll post a photo of your round challah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely! All good mojo sent to Mo!! Good luck with your round loaf. I hope you'll all be happily gathered this Friday.
    I can't help but notice how that finished skein resembles a heart...and the colors of the yarn remind me of the circulatory system. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, ugh, Sarah. I'm so sorry to hear that Mo has Covid! Hopefully she feels better quickly, and will be back to school later this week -- and up to the holiday celebrations to come. Sending the healing juju to Mo - and your entire family. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear that Mo has Covid, but I'm sending her (and the whole family) healthy thoughts. I really hope she feels better quickly and you can all be together for Rosh Hashanah. (I'm also hoping for a photo of your lovely round challah!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear. I'm sending good thoughts that Mo recovers quickly and the rest of the family remains healthy. I hope you can be together for Rosh Hashanah and that the round challah is a success. Your spinning is so inspiring. Congratulations on doubling your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Mo! Sending healing thoughts for her and healthy thoughts for your whole family going into the holidays!

    ReplyDelete