Pages

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Embrace in 2023: September

When I posted on Sunday, I completely forgot that this was the last week of the month. So I'm catching up today with all you One Little Word-ers with my update. Thanks, as always, to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up and giving us great monthly prompts!

Obviously when I started this month, I was looking forward to embracing all the joys of the season -- the High Holidays, family birthdays and anniversaries, the Great Race, the transition to fall. But COVID disrupted everything. In addition to causing me to miss out on many of those celebrations and plans, it has physically forced me to slow down; I wasn't really seriously ill (I was never confined to my bed, for instance), but it's had enough of an impact on my respiratory system that I've found breathing to be more of an effort. After training all summer to be able to run several miles without stopping, I've had to accept that running at all might be more than my body can handle right now. I've also read about some studies that suggest that pushing your body too hard after a COVID infection might make you more susceptible to long COVID, something I definitely do not want. So Embrace this month has been about accepting my limitations and not pushing myself. This has not been an easy thing for me because I have been so active for the past several months and so diligent in my training schedule. But I know that in the long run, it's important to listen to and respect the limitations of my body. And I hope that in the months that remain in this year, my OLW shows up in ways that are a little less harsh!

9 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that you (finally) tested negative and also glad to hear that you are listening to your body and taking it easy. It was nice to read that you were planning to go to services on Monday. Hope your healing continues in a strong way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though it's been a disruptive and unpleasant month (and certainly not what you were planning on), it sounds like Covid had some interesting lessons for you anyway. Covid (and a few other situations) derailed my fall plans last year. I was so . . . frustrated. So I do understand your irritation and disappointment. Sometimes we get these nasty little reminders in life . . . that we need embrace some not-so-good stuff, too, and try to glean whatever lessons emerge there, too. (And I know you're doing just that.) Here's to continued good health for you, Sarah. You're wise to rest and take care of yourself! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe by accepting and even embracing your (hopefully temporary) limitations, you will end up healthier in the long run. Good for you for listening to your body and not pushing it when you need time to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that you very much had a tough month... and well done you for finding things to embrace in it! I hope your breathing is better soon and you can return to running. XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. I echo everything that Kym said. It's important to recognize when our words are showing us ways to adapt even when it's not ways we might rather resist.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Embracing a slower pace might be your task for the next few weeks. If you need any tips, let me know 😉

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Sarah, I know you've got to be disappointed about ALL those things, and I really applaud that you're purposefully slowing down so you can recover 100%. Future you is going to be very grateful for that, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for your insight and wisdom. Many, I know, (and I would be tempted!) to return to 'full strength' activity. The risk of long haul COVID is so not worth it. Sadly, I know a few folks who have it--and it's heartbreaking.
    Kind of a 'just right' word for this month...! So glad you're making your way back, gently but sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you are disappointed about missing all these activities. You are wise to accept slowing down and giving your body time to heal. Who knew that this is where "Embrace" would lead but sometimes life does take unusual turns. Take good care friend.

    ReplyDelete