Pages

Friday, September 15, 2023

It Finally Got Me

Well friends, after three and a half years of avoiding it, I've finally been hit with the 'vid. Those of you who follow me on Instagram likely saw the positive test I posted yesterday. I honestly did think I just had a sinus infection, but when I woke up yesterday with my whole body hurting again, I thought I should test. I read somewhere a while back that the side effects you feel from getting a dose of the vaccine are likely an indication of how the virus itself would make you feel, and that whole-body ache has been primarily the effect I've had each time I've gotten a vaccine or booster. On the plus side, I started getting these aches Monday afternoon, so clearly I've had it for a while, and I'm actually feeling a lot better this morning. Even better, Mo tested negative yesterday afternoon and is back to school today. While I would have preferred not to have gotten it, I am relieved that my bout with COVID has been relatively mild. My symptoms have been the aforementioned body aches, sinus pain, and some congestion (and some associated lightheadedness, which you'd expect). I've been coughing a little, but mainly just because of the postnasal drip from the sinus congestion. I've not had a fever or lost my sense of taste or smell. I have been taking extra-strength Tylenol every six hours, and I knew I was turning a corner last night when I didn't start feeling terrible before my next dose was due. I also slept through the night last night, unlike the two prior, so I'm fairly confident that I will be back to normal in a few more days. It's a bummer that I will miss out on Rosh Hashanah dinner with the family tonight and services this weekend, but my mother will no doubt be dropping off food for me and I can watch services online. I'm happy to be feeling better and able to stay home to keep others from getting sick. I did want to share my experience with all of you because it seems like the new variant that is going around is not causing the typical COVID symptoms and so people may not be testing when they should. So consider this your PSA!

While I never like being sick, I will say that it's been a relief to take time off from work and to not be so sick that I'm not feeling up to crafting. In fact, I've gotten quite a lot done in the past couple of days, primarily on my crochet blanket:


Last night I joined the fourth skein of yarn and started decreasing along the other edge, so I am in the home stretch now. If I keep up the pace, I would not be surprised if I finish this blanket by the end of the weekend! It looks like it's going to be the perfect size for covering my legs; I'm working to 25" wide by 40" long, though I'm sure that I'll be able to coax a bit more out of it when I blog it, given that it's superwash. This has really been the perfect project because it's require so little thinking. While I haven't really experienced the so-called COVID brain fog, it is still hard to concentrate when you're feeling lousy.

Later today, provided my head is feeling clear enough, I may pull out my long-dormant Birch Pullover, which hasn't been touched since the day we left Florida after our spring break trip. It's been sitting in a bag since then for a very silly reason: I need to do some basic math to determine how much of each skein of yarn to set aside for the sleeves so I can blend my skeins sufficiently. It'll probably take me less than five minutes to do so, but my ridiculous unwillingness to do that has meant that I've ignored the sweater for nearly half a year. Now that fall weather is finally here, I want to get back to that sweater so it's done and ready to be worn when we have legitimate sweater weather!

I hope the weekend ahead is as beautiful for you as it's predicted to be for us. Keep your fingers crossed that by the next time I post, I'm COVID negative!

7 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you've finally succumbed, but I'm glad your symptoms have been relatively mild. Just think of the natural immunity you're building! I still haven't had covid and have an appointment to get the new shot next week, so I'm crossing my fingers I don't get it before then. My fingers are also crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ugh, Sarah. I am so sorry you have gotten "it"... but I am relieved that you have a mild case! I am hoping to get the new booster next week as well... I hope you are negative soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah! I'm so glad that your symptoms have been manageable and you're still able to do the things you love. And I'm glad there are still ways for you to participate in Rosh Hashanah despite not being there in person. Keep resting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was tempted to say something about your sinus infection possibly being Covid but figured I should mind my business. I'm glad your symptoms aren't terrible but I'm sorry your Rosh Hashanah plans have been interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry the rona caught you, hoping for a quick and complete recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers crossed for a negative Covid test soon. I'm glad your symptoms aren't severe but it's a bummer to miss the holiday with your family. The blanket is the perfect project for right now and it's looking great. Take good care and rest as long as needed.

    ReplyDelete