Pages

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Unraveled, Week 37/2023

Good morning from the sick house, friends. Mo is feeling a lot better, but I've come done with my annual sinus infection and am feeling pretty miserable. I'm glad I'm already working from home and don't have to go anywhere!

Time to check in with Kat and the Unravelers about making and reading. If there's one good thing to say about being at home with a sick kid, it's that there's plenty of time for both! 

I'm still working on my C2C blanket, and though I haven't added much more since you saw it on Monday, I plan to work on it during two work meetings today, one of which is supposed to be two hours long (it's on off-site meeting, but luckily I'd already planned to Zoom in because school pickup time is right in the middle of it).


I'm in the middle of a wrong-side row at the moment, and based on the measurement I took just after snapping this photo, I should reach my target width after one more right-side row. At that point, I will start decreasing on the left-hand side of the blanket and it'll start looking like a rectangle.

I also have added a few stripes to my current pair of socks, and I'm really enjoying this Targhee base.

The main reason I haven't made a ton of progress on either of these projects the past couple of days is because I've been almost completely focused on spinning -- and I finished another skein!

It's still a tad bit damp and the skein got a bit mussed up so I'll have to rewind it to tidy it up, but this is about 187 yards of three-ply worsted. This was Southern Cross Fibre Polwarth from May 2022 in the colorway Maelstrom. I did a very quick-and-dirty spin on this for a change, and while I don't have a ton of yardage, I'm very happy with this one.

I just love a round, bouncy three-ply yarn! Normally I don't have a specific plan for yarn I spin, but as these colors are right up Mo's alley, I'm thinking this might become a hat for her. I'll likely knit it top down so I can use up as much yarn as possible.

Reading has been good this past week, even if it's not been especially plentiful. With all the illness in the house, I've been a bit distracted. But I did finish two good books.

When I was in need of an audiobook late last week, I decided to reread Rebecca, in part because it's on the Novel Pairings calendar for this month but also because it's been a very long time since I read it (I'm pretty sure when I was in eighth grade!). I watched the Hitchcock film a ton when I was a kid and saw the not-so-great more recent Netflix version, so I knew the basic story, but I'd forgotten just how amazing the writing is! The audio version was well done, too. I think I could appreciate it all a lot more now that I'm older and more well read, and it wasn't until yesterday, while I was listening to Novel Pairings, that I learned that it was inspired by Jane Eyre, but it makes total sense! If you've never read this book, I highly recommend it. I gave my reread 5 stars.


My other finish came from the Booker Prize longlist. How to Build a Boat tells the story of Jamie, a young man who we're led to believe is on the autism spectrum and who believes that if he finds a way to build a perpetual motion machine, it will somehow connect him to his month, who died shortly after giving birth to him. He's helped in this mission by two of his teachers at his Catholic boys' high school, a place where all three of them are outsiders in their own way, and the book is really a lovely story of how they find and help one another through their respective life difficulties. This is one of those books that has no quotation marks for the dialogue, making it a little challenging in parts to know when someone is speaking and when they're just thinking, but it's a beautiful story. I gave it 4 stars.

I'm still reading An Immense World, though I haven't picked it up in the past several days, and I've been reading my next Booker selection, A Spell of Good Things, at bedtime.

What are you making and reading this week?

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad Mo is feeling better but sorry to hear that you've got a sinus infection. I hope the whole family is healthy by Friday. I have a thing for blues and that skein is just beautiful. It's been years since I read Rebecca so it may be time for a re-read. I'm not sure I've ever seen the movie, so that is something I think I would also enjoy. Sending all the healthy vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! I hope you are feeling better soon! That skein of handspun yarn is gorgeous! I love the barber pole effect so much! (I listened to Mr Yong read An Immense World... it was so fascinating!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your sick house. Our grandson was under the weather after his first week back to school and it seems everyone is sneezing around here thanks to the pollen and weather changes. That blue yarn is just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that 3-ply! Sorry to hear about your sinus infection, hopefully it passes quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Mo is on the mend but sorry you are now feeling under the weather (thankful it's *just* a sinus infection and not Covid). The blues in your recent spin are simply gorgeous Sarah! The socks are rather pretty too. Gosh I do remember reading "Rebecca" when I was in junior high school (7th or 8th grade) and loving it. I've never re-read it. I don't know if I've ever re-read a book (other than portions of the Bible). My guess is that I think there are too many (new to me) books and too little time! Hope everyone is fine and feeling well by Friday's Rosh Hashanah celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rebecca is such a great book, I'm glad you enjoyed rereading it. Sorry that you're not feeling well, I hope you and Mo and both 100% better really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sending up all the good wishes that the family will be together for Friday night dinner (round RAISIN challah is one of my favorites ... will you add raisins?). I re-read Rebecca on audio a few years ago (well, maybe 7 or 8) and I'm looking forward to this re-read on the page. and I've never seen a screen adaptation ... maybe this year?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you all are feeling better by the time you read this! Your projects are all lovely, Sarah.The blues in your newly-spun yarn are just divine! It's been a long time since I've read Rebecca. . . I think the last time I read it, it was the audio version. And I think I've seen the movie, but it's a blur to me now! Sending all the healing juju to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The handspun yarn will make a warm hat in very pretty shades of blue. Did Heather of Craft-Lit do Rebecca? Or am I thinking of another book. It's been ages since I read Rebecca. I was very young. Hoping everyone is on the mend soon. Sinus infections are so miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just read/saw this morning that it's a bit more than a sinus infection you're dealing with. I hope it passes quickly, Sarah! Take care.

    ReplyDelete