Pages

Friday, July 04, 2014

Independence

I'm really starting to think that we should have every Friday off. This is my second week in a row, and I feel like my mental health and general well-being are better because of it.

I'm very happy that today is a "home day," as Rainbow says. It's a positively perfect day -- sunny, low humidity, and just warm enough to be comfortable. I was up on the early side, which meant I was able to go for a long (well, long for me) run and still be back by a little after 7 a.m. We are having the immediate family over later today for a barbecue, but for now I have time to sit and knit.

As promised, I have a finished baby knit to share with you. This pattern never fails to disappoint me in its cuteness.


Pattern: Aviatrix by Justine Turner, 6 month size
Yarn: my handspun
Needles: US 2 (2.75 mm) and US 3 (3.25 mm)
Started/Completed: June 25/June 29, 2014
Mods: started and ended ribbing with two knits for easier pickup and so that a column of knits would appear next to the ear flap; picked up on RS for start of ear flap and worked one WS row

The yarn was some superwash BFL that I spun up long enough ago that I don't have dates in on the stash page on Ravelry. It was somewhere between a sport and a DK weight, so I followed the sportweight directions for the pattern and it worked just fine. Better yet, I weighed the hat and the leftovers, and it looks like there's plenty to knit another one. This hat is a baby gift for a Ravelry friend who just had a little boy, but we're going to see some friends in a few weeks who just had their second daughter, so I think I'll embellish the next one with a crochet flower or something like that.

This really is a great hat, and it's a fast knit. I made Rainbow one back when she was about a year old, also out of handspun, and I'm pretty sure she wore it for a couple of winters.

I'm now down to just two projects currently on the needles -- my Sople (which quite honestly is probably not going to see much attention for the next couple of months) and the crescent shawl that's my own design. It's going to see some serious attention today, as I've officially passed the halfway point and have started the decreasing repeats.


This is obviously going to need some very serious blocking when it's done, but I'm very happy with how it's turning out. I also really like this construction method, and I'm already thinking about the next version, which I'm probably going to do in handspun.

It's nearly time to get the BBQ brisket in the oven, so I'm going to run, but I wanted to wish all my fellow Americans and very happy Independence Day! To the rest of you, I wish you a happy Friday and a wonderful weekend! And for all you spinners, get ready for the start of the Tour de Fleece tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment