Pages

Friday, February 26, 2021

Eye Candy Friday, Shabbat Edition

Happy Friday, all! I am happy to see the end of the week, even though we're expecting a gloomy weekend ahead. I know I don't normally post on Friday, but as I've posted every other weekday this week, why break the streak?

Today I wanted to share one amazing benefit of working from home -- I have time to bake fresh challah for Shabbat. It was the first item on my 21 in 2021 list and the first one I crossed off the list, but it's something I hope to be able to do regularly this year.


I was posting photos from the steps involved in making these freshly baked loaves in my Instagram stories, and Eileen asked if I'd share the recipe, so I figured it was as good an excuse as any to post here! This recipe came to us from a friend of the Mister's who has started baking challahs every Friday with her daughter (who goes to school with Rainbow) that they then give out to friends and family. Be forewarned that this recipe makes A LOT of challah; what you see here is actually the result of making half of the recipe. A stand mixer is highly recommended for making this dough.

Chani's Sweet Challah

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons yeast
1 1/2 cups + 1 teaspoon sugar
2 cups warm water
3 eggs, plus an additional for the egg wash
8 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon of sugar in warm water in the mixer bowl (allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes, until it's quite bubbly). Add the rest of the sugar, eggs, and oil and whisk until very fluffy. Add the salt and mix.

Gradually add the flour, cup by cup. You can use the mixing blade attachment for the first half and switch to the kneading hook for the second half. If needed, dump out onto the counter and knead until smooth.

Oil a large bowl (cooking spray/Pam works well) and place the dough in it, rolling it around to coat it with oil. Cover the dough and place it in the oven with a pan of hot water beneath the bowl*. Let the dough rise for 60-90 minutes.

Shape into loaves and brush the top of them with the remaining egg mixed with water (a bit of honey or salt can also be added). Let the loaves rise for an additional hour, then bake at 350F for about 35 minutes. You can rebrush the loaves with the egg wash halfway through the baking if desired to cover the braid expansion.

Helpful notes:
- If you're making the full recipe, note that the dough might overwhelm your mixer.
- Every time I've baked this recipe, I've used all-purpose flour and it's been fine. One of these days I'll get some bread flour and see if there's any difference in taste.
- I have successfully made this challah using Egg Beaters/egg substitute in place of the eggs. Today's loaves (made with half the recipe) used 1 egg plus some Egg Beaters.
- For today's loaves, I put the egg wash on just prior to baking. I lost some braid definition, but the crust is shinier.

*If you have a family member who's in the habit of turning on the oven without checking if anything is inside it and/or doesn't understand that bread has to rise in a warm place (like an oven), I suggest putting a large sign on the oven door at this point.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful challah. I believe I made some once with a recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook or one of the Silver Palate Cookbooks. The cookbooks were a thing back in the 80's?? or 90's? I have one left. I love the tip about posting a large sign on the oven door. I can't imagine my husband turning on the oven but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such beautiful challah, I can almost imagine the wonderful scent! (I can also imagine some delicious French toast with the leftovers for breakfast this weekend.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like an especially beautiful batch, Sarah. I love that you were able to share it with your family for Shabbat.

    And putting up the sign is a very good reminder :) You just never know!! And like I said before, you're going to think of that memory every time you bake and eat challah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my! That bread looks so yummy!! And I agree with Bonny - French Toast would be delightful made from your challah! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful loaves, Sarah! I am with Bonny... French Toast would be so amazing from those gorgeous loaves! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad to hear you say your loaves are based on a halved recipe, because 8 cups is a lot of flour! My family would PLOW through a full batch, no question, though... And, yes, French toast, any toast, plain and buttered. You name it. They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete