Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Not *Quite* Spring

I just checked the calendar and it's still February, so still winter. And yet there are signs that spring is coming. Yesterday we had a bit of snow early in the morning that turned into rain. This morning it was already above the freezing mark when we woke up and I heard birds singing while I was eating breakfast. Tomorrow, we might even hit 50F! I'm sure winter isn't ready to release its grip on us just yet, but it's clear that we're headed out of it.

So, naturally, I knit myself a new hat over the weekend, because of course I did.

 
I've kept my giant bag of sock yarn scraps next to my work chair, which means that I am constantly looking all it and getting inspired by all the color. I've been trying to remain diligent about working on WIPs (specifically Rainbow's Little Boxy), but last Friday I had another four-hour Zoom workshop for work and needed something with a bit more instant gratification to keep my hands busy. Another one of my scrappy marled hats was just the ticket.

I followed my usual recipe for this one (though I went down to 100 stitches rather than 104 for a slightly snugger fit) and used some leftover Knit Picks Hawthorne in a deep purple for the color that was consistent throughout (it was nearly a full skein) and scraps of a Gale's Art sock blank as well as some Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in a self-striping for the other colors. I used up nearly all of the latter, which was leftover from a 2016 project. In all, there's about 280 yards of yarn used in this simple hat -- though the bag of scraps doesn't look any emptier, I'm afraid. I guess I will need to keep knitting scrappy hats for a while yet!

7 comments:

  1. Colorful scrappy hats for the win! (And a four-hour Zoom workshop sounds a bit excessive to me!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous hat!! I love all of the colors in it.

    We just hit the 40s, which feels ridiculously warm right now. But we also just built a giant snowman, so I'm not fooling myself TOO much ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband has 3 8-hr Zoom workshop days coming up. I've begged him to pick up the handwork habit--it kills me how much he could get done! But he never takes me seriously. I don't know why he thinks I'm joking. Love those colors. (I think I say that almost every time I'm here!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that hat ... and excited to think I might have sock yarn scraps this time next year to knit some scrappy hats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun colors! (Zoom meetings should never be more than 2 hours...that longer length is just killer!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. FOUR HOURS???? That's just torturous. . . But what a GREAT HAT! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE the colours on this one - it just SCREAMS Eighties to me! Wonderful. (I really have to make a scrap hat, but I still have the sock bags and the blanket! Aaaargh!)

    ReplyDelete