Pages

Monday, June 14, 2021

Spinning on Monday, Thwarted by Nature

Monday, Monday. Most of you who are regular readers will know that I don't usually post on Mondays but I do usually put up a spinning post on Sunday. And I was planning to do that yesterday evening, as I had an unexpectedly busy day -- first the annual meeting at our synagogue, then my usual walk, then watching In the Heights with Rainbow and my brother and sister-in-law. But a crazy storm blew in just after we got home, with high winds and even hail, and at around 6 p.m., the power went out. And it's still out. The poor Mister had to go into his office because there were all sorts of (metaphorical) fires to put out related to the storm and power outages and didn't get back until 4 a.m. So Rainbow and I have decamped to my parents', where there is power and air conditioning, and I'm playing a little catch-up.

I don't have a ton of spinning to share because I spent so much time last week focusing on finishing my Threipmuir (spoiler alert: it's done, and you can expect an FO post tomorrow). But I have started my next skein for my handspun Shifty spin. This is the first bobbin of singles of Southern Cross Fibre South African Superfine in the colorway First Star:


Rather than faffing about with the colors this time, I just split the top into three roughly equal pieces, so this will be a much more relaxing spin. I hope to give it some more attention this week.

In the meantime, I've had some stash enhancement recently that I can share to make up for the lack of spinning content. First, I received my Tour de Fleece shipment from Jill at HipStrings. This year she offered three options for hand-carded batts: a rainbow set, a set of neutrals, or a set custom blended for you based upon your previous orders. I went with the last option, and these are the gorgeous batts I received:


When I saw these, I knew right away where Jill had gotten her inspiration! I have a total of 12 oz. to spin, and I think these would work very nicely toward another sweater, perhaps with a neutral to tie them together.

I also received the May 2021 SCF club shipment (it arrived quickly again, so here's hoping the mail issues are over!):


The colorway is called Sunrise Sunset (yes, every time I read it or think it, I get the Fiddler on the Roof song in my head!), and it's on South African Superfine. I love it!

I hope your Monday is off to a better start than mine. Please keep your fingers crossed that my power comes back on before the day is out!

10 comments:

  1. Sending all the good thoughts for the return of your power - soon! All of your fiber is beautiful, and it would be so nice to be able to spin it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending all the power I can your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that mojo is much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Hope your power is back soon. We are having very muggy weather here which is so unusual for June.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man... no power just is the worst! I hope that by the time I have posted this your power is back! (and I am amazed at how beautifully those batts coordinate with the fiber from David at SCF! Wow!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Power outages are not fun. I hope you are back up and running. It looks as if you have some mighty fine spinning coming up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, sure hoping you're home with electricity now! (and I just KNEW you'd get that 2nd sleeve done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you were able to go to your parents' house for some electricity! I hope it's back by now and things settle back down for you. Congrats on finishing the sweater -- I can't wait to see it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy smokes! What a wild time! So glad you and Rainbow were able to decamp. In the Heights was on our radar for the weekend, too—but it didn’t happen. Something to look forward to, I guess! Hope things are settling down there and that your new roof is unscathed by that hail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the time you read this, the power is back on (I sneak peeked into your next post), but MAN, I'm so sorry. :( We only had (announced) temporary water outages and they were bad enough, but no power is really worse (especially when you need the A/C!)

    I love the colour of the fibres, both the rolas and the new shipment, it looks like this fiber club is truly worth its money and you didn't have something you didn't like yet, did you?

    ReplyDelete