Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2021

Star Light, Star Bright

First Star -- I finished it last night! And that's the last of the awful poetry you'll get from me today. Instead, let's talk handspun, because the third skein for my sweater is now done, washed, and dry:


First Star was dyed on a South African superfine base (think really soft merino), and I spun it into a three-ply fingering weight, getting about 400 yards from 117 g. The fiber was mostly blues, some a medium shade, some an intense inky shade, with just a few pops of purple. I decided not to mess around with splitting up the colors on this one to help maintain my sanity, and I can honestly say that I can't tell the difference in how the colors mixed between this skein and the last one, when I did micromanage the color handling. So I'll be taking the simpler approach going forward.

I now have almost 1,200 yards of yarn in the three skeins I have spun, but I will need about 1,500 total, and I also think I'll want to change yarns frequently so I have sufficient contrast to see the pattern. 

June's Southern Cross Fibre shipment is another blue that will likely be mixed in with these three as a base color. But I think I need a pop of contrast to mix in, so I pulled two bags of fiber from my stash as contenders. One is Rambouillet that came last month (remember how it reminded me of a book cover?), and Rambo will play nicely with the merino and SASF I've used already. The other possibility is a semisolid called Bougainvillea on a blend of 75% Bond wool/25% Suri alpaca. The pinky purple really goes well with the purple in First Star, I think.


Chances are I'll end up spinning up both -- I am still trying to spin all the SCF backlog! -- but I'm contemplating which one to start next. And I think this spinning bug has hit me hard, because when I was looking through my bag of SCF stash, I noticed quite a lot of colorways that lean heavily toward green, so don't be surprised if I keep spinning even after I'm finished with enough yardage for one sweater and end up with enough for a second!

7 comments:

  1. This is all gorgeous yarn and fiber, and I really like the idea that we'll possibly get to see more yarn spun for a green sweater!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - those are gorgeous together! This is going to be a fun project to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is going to be a gorgeous sweater! Lovely spinning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful - you are going to have one gorgeous sweater!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your colors always inspire--in all sorts of ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of your colour choices! The red might be nice since it's such a simple contrast to the other variegated skeins, but then the variegated purple/pink might be a little more harmonious ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those three skeins of handspun look so nice together. I'll be interested to see what you choose to put with them.

    ReplyDelete