Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2021

What to Make Next

I double-checked the calendar and confirmed that today is actually Thursday (the craziness of the power outage had me thinking it was Thursday two days ago!), so it's time to link up with Carole and friends for Three on Thursday.

After I finished my sweater and my brother's socks, I found myself without any active WIPs. I did end up pulling out my long-languishing ADVENTuresome Wrap (Ravelry link) that I started back in January with my Fibernymph Dye Works holiday minis set from the 2020 holiday season, and I've now finished two repeats -- 22 more to go!

The blue that's been wound into a ball is next.

While I want to finish this project this summer, it's knitting that I have to pay close attention to, so it's not good for knitting while reading. I really need some fairly mindless projects, and I like to have a variety of projects in progress at once so I can pick something to match my mood or the situation. So here are three projects I'm thinking of starting soon.

1. A pair of socks for my sister-in-law
I don't know that everyone in the family will be getting hand-knit socks for the holidays again, but my sister-in-law has been so enthusiastic about the two pairs that I've knit her that she is permanently on the list. She also has pretty small feet, so knitting socks for her feels very easy. I bought two skeins of OOAK self-striping from FDW recently, and this one really looks like my SIL's colors:

2. More charity hats/cowls
My giant bag of scraps has been sitting in front of me and hasn't gotten any smaller (though I have added some fingering scraps to it), so I think it's time to start knitting some charity items again. It would be great to have a big stack to donate this fall when they're needed!

3. A new blanket for my nephew
I don't expect he'll give up his well-loved knit blanket, but I thought it would be nice to make him another to have an alternative when the original needs to be washed. Years ago, I bought up a bunch of skeins of Mission Falls 1824 Cotton when it was discontinued. I intended to use it for a sweater for Rainbow when she was a baby but never got around to it. I'm not a huge fan of knitting with cotton because it's hard on my hands, but crocheting might be a different story. So I'm thinking of using it for a corner-to-corner blanket.

What does everyone have planned for the weekend? We're having a family birthday party tomorrow evening -- my mother-in-law's birthday is today and my mother's is tomorrow -- and I'm sure we'll do something for the Mister for Father's Day. I'm also signed up to donate blood tomorrow, and I'm excited that the drive is happening on the campus of the college where I work so I don't have to drive. The Red Cross has been testing donated blood for COVID-19 antibodies since the start of the pandemic, so we'll see if the vaccine has done its job!

12 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to casting on. a new sock soon - something simple that I can knit without too much attention. We have a bbq planned for Father’s day since we have 3 dads to celebrate. I need to get out a pick up come pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that having a variety of projects to match mood and attention is perfect! I'm looking forward to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have got to conquer my reticence of socks. I don't know why I'm hesitant to knit them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love the wrap and your future knitting plans! Knitworthy people are the best - I have some folks in my family as well who will always be on the list and super happy with whatever you make them. It's great!

    I love the idea of making another blanket for your nephew, and the last corner-to-corner blanket looked great! (Did Rainbow end up using it exclusively, by the way? Or is it more of a shared household item by now). Also KUDOS for the charity hats! I am contemplating making some so often, and then find that organisations are putting out their announcements with REALLY tight deadlines. I'll have a look whether I can find something sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun that you have two Moms' birthdays two days in a row! My Dad's a big dessert fan, so I'm trying to come up with a fun one for Father's Day. Thinking some kind of ice cream sandwich...something that doesn't require using my unreliable cottage oven. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mission Falls 1824 Cotton!! One of my favorites, and I have a few precious bits stashed away. Those colors are great! Sounds like a pretty great weekend in store for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your upcoming projects - I crocheted three afghans in cotton last summer; yes, that's way easier than knitting. Sounds like you have a wonderful weekend planned - enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Matching a project to your current mood is important, so your possible projects all sound like winners. A dual family birthday celebration and doing a good deed by donating blood sound just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How awesome that your SIL is so enthusiastic about handknit socks! No one in my family is, ha.

    No plans this weekend - we're always in survival mode on the weekends :) But I'm looking forward to a big breakfast for Father's Day and maybe a ride into the mountains. We'll see!

    If we don't connect before the weekend, I hope you have a fabulous one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you on having an array of projects to pick from. It works for me for these summer days! I can't wait to see that C2C blanket grow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This post has such a beautiful array of yarn. Like going to the yarn store for a quick look around. Good luck on your new projects. I am starting another sweater today but now have found a pattern for a new crochet cardigan so that is tugging at the back of my mind to start too>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you have great knitting ahead. I need to look into my stash bins and set up a few new projects. Your post inspires me to get started.

    ReplyDelete