Pages

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Unraveled, Week 24/2021

Good morning and happy Wednesday! It feels to me like it should already be Friday with how crazy the start of the week was, but I am just about caught up and ready for my weekly knitting and reading check-in with Kat and the Unravelers.

In addition to my sweater, I also finished my brother's socks over the weekend (while I was at his house, in fact, though I waited until I was home to weave in the ends and block, so I haven't yet given them to him)!


I didn't really follow a pattern for these, but I knit them toe-up with a US 1/2.25 mm needle starting with Judy's Magic Cast On, increased to 70 stitches, and worked a Fish Lips Kiss Heel. I then knit the leg until I had about two stripes' worth of yarn remaining, worked 3x2 ribbing for those two stripes, and did a stretchy bind-off in pattern. The yarn is Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce in the colorway Gettin' Crabby, which was the special colorway for Needles Up Maryland in 2019. I am very thankful that Lisa's skeins are typically a bit more than 100 g, because the two socks weigh 100 g exactly! These ended up so big that they were bigger even than my large sock blockers. But now I know that I can get a pair of socks for my brother out of one skein of yarn. Next time I might try cuff down with a heel flap.

There has been a little unraveling here this morning, but it's related to design work and thus not unexpected. While I was working on Monday and needed something to keep my hands busy amid all the anxiety of the power outage I started a hat and got as far as finishing the hemmed brim:


I was very happy with the look of it, but despite my math seeming to be right, it's way too big. So I ripped it out and will be trying again with a smaller needle. No big deal!

I've had another good week of reading and achieved my first bingo!


I have finishing three books since last week and very likely will finish another later today.

I had picked up The Ardent Swarm through the Amazon First Reads program earlier in the year, so I didn't have huge expectations for it. It was an okay read. It's supposed to be an allegorical story about how Islamic fundamentalism takes hold in a country, but frankly I enjoyed it more as a straightforward story about beekeeping. There are parts about the political situation that were a bit too obvious for me to consider this a true allegory. It was a fast read, though, and it filled a bingo square nicely. I gave it 3 stars.

Bingo square: Translation

 

I had read Charlie Lovett's The Bookman's Tale previously and enjoyed it, so I picked up First Impressions with pretty high expectations. I'm sorry to say it fell a little flat for me. In my review, I called this Jane Austen fan fiction and a beach read for Austen lovers. This is a book that you really can't take too seriously, not only because of the fairly preposterous plot but also because the main character in the present-day story line is fairly ridiculous. I think I mentioned in my review on the blog of The Bookman's Tale that it was obvious it was written by a man, and that holds true here -- we're really expected to believe that an Oxford-educated woman is more guided by her libido than her common sense? Still, it was a fun little diversion. I gave it 3 stars.

Bingo square: Set in more than one time period

I had been patiently waiting for Unsettled Ground from the library for weeks and it finally became available on Sunday. I started it Sunday afternoon, and it should tell you just how immersive this read is that I finished it first thing yesterday morning despite all the craziness surrounding the power outage and a very busy work day on Monday. I know the description doesn't sound particularly exciting, but this book is an excellent character study, and I plowed through it because I wanted to know what would happen to these characters. A lot of it is very sad, so be prepared for that, but I really did it enjoy it. I gave it 4 stars.

Bingo square: Borrowed

I am still reading The Autobiography of Malcolm X and really need to set aside some time to focus on it. It's a dense book with small print, and it really is not working well for before-bed reading. I also started Disfigured: On Fairy Tales, Disability, and Making Space yesterday and expect to finish it today. It's an excellent and very timely read. I'm trying to finish it up not only because I'm really enjoying it but also because all my holds seem to be coming up and I've already had to delay a couple of them. It never rains but it pours, am I right?

How about you? What are you working on and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. I love those socks and bet your brother will also! And with just a couple key squares filled in, you'll have several more bingos. And since it's just the middle of June I'm betting you may need a second card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder why you think it's impossible that "an Oxford-educated woman is more guided by her libido than her common sense". To me it does not seem impossible, does not seem it could only be written by a man, and does not even seem like a terribly bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to spoil anything, but let's just say that she ignores some fairly big warning signs because she thinks a man is attractive. Not impossible, but contrary to her personality in other parts of the book. I just didn't find it believable.

      Delete
  3. Love the socks! I have First Impressions but haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for a completed Bingo! I am knitting my first ever pair of toe-up socks and contemplating the heel choice right now. Thanks for the reminder of the fish lips kiss heel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those socks are great! (and whoa, he has long feet!) ... and WOOHOO! for your Bingo! I think this is the first one I've actually seen. Go Sarah! (and yep, this comment really did need ALL those exclamation points!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome socks!! And hooray for a bingo!

    I remember feeling the same way about a Charlie Lovett book I read a few years ago - The Bookman's Tale - clearly written by a man! And I haven't finished Unsettled Ground yet... I think I fell into my fiction funk right around the time I started it and haven't returned... but I'd like to finish it before the winner of the Women's Prize is announced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEAH for the socks!! They came out great, I bet your brother will like them! (Did you give them to him yet?)

    I went through my short stack of really weakly-written knitting murder mysteries (no kidding!) after that big Sci-Fi novel I read and now I am ... back to Sci-Fi, with the second volumne of "Wool", which is called "Shift". ;) It's a really great read though, I'm almost done and I think I'm really going to read the third volumne right after!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those socks are awesome! I think your brother should be profoundly grateful that you knit such amazing socks to fit his amazing feet! lol

    Great reading this week and congrats on your first bingo!

    ReplyDelete