Pages

Tuesday, June 01, 2021

It's Not Summer Yet

Memorial Day weekend is often referred to as the unofficial start of summer, but it was decidedly not summer-like here -- it felt more like fall, to be honest. It was downright chilly on Saturday and rained most of the day. I had to pull out wool socks and a sweater! Sunday was dry but still on the cool side. Yesterday the sun finally came out and it was pretty nice, though still not very warm, at least in comparison to the usual average temperature. I can say that it was a good weekend for crafting and reading, given that we weren't spending much time outside.

Yesterday we had a holiday gathering at my parents' and we able to gather with the extended family -- my parents; my brother and sister-in-law (and nephew-dog); my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and nephew; my in-laws; my brother's in-laws; and my uncle -- for the first time since, I think, Thanksgiving of 2019. It was absolutely delightful! We've of course seen some family in the interim, but it's amazing to think that at the last time we were all together, my nephew was just a few months old. Now he's talking and walking and getting ready to be a big brother. I shared these photos on Instagram yesterday, but I know not all of you are on IG, so I thought it would be worth sharing them here as well:


On the left are Rainbow and her cousin (my nephew) yesterday. He brought his favorite blanket, which just happened to be a hand-me-down -- it was a blanket I knit for her just before she was born. You can see her covered in it in the photo on the right, in her going-home-from-the-hospital outfit! That thing has really been put through the wringer. It's slightly felted and torn in spots, and apparently my nephew sucks on it and won't nap without it. I'm not going to suggest it be taken away from him, but seeing how well loved it's been, I think it's time I made him a new one. It also makes my heart grow a few sizes to see a handknit so loved!

My main knitting focus over the weekend was my Threipmuir, which seems to be growing faster than I would expect given that it's an adult-sized pullover worked in fingering weight. But then again, I'm on the single-color stockinette portion, which is ideal for knitting while reading or watching TV. I tried it on last night just to be sure that the fit is okay (and it is):


It's always so hard to tell if the fit is okay when you have a sweater on a single circular needle, even more so when you have a history of a warped sense of your own size, so it was very reassuring to see that it fits and has the bit of positive ease I wanted. As you can see, I'm alternating skeins now that I'm only using the main color; this yarn is hand dyed and is a non-superwash, so there is a fair amount of variation. I am using helical knitting and it seems to be working well.

Rainbow took these photos for me and insisted on doing a close-up of the yoke. Granted, the light was not great when we took these shots, but I think this one more accurately shows the lower contrast colorwork than some of the photos I've posted previously. I do like the three colors together, but part of me is wishing there was a bit more contrast -- not enough to undo what I've done, obviously, but it gives me some food for thought for future colorwork projects. I think this may be the first time I've used more than two colors in a single project, and clearly if I do it again, I'll need to consider some other color combinations.

I hope that you had better weather over the long weekend than we did and, if not, that you were able to enjoy it regardless. I will be back tomorrow with an update on the start of Summer Book Bingo!

8 comments:

  1. It was a cold, miserable weekend (thank goodness for sweaters and socks!) I am not happy to see the upcoming forecast though... it seems we are going from too cold to too hot... no happy medium for us.

    Your sweater is looking amazing! The colors are so happy! (as are all your smiling faces!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to hear about and see photos of families gradually getting together again (and see their well-loved handknits)! Your Threipmuir is lovely, with a great fit and just the right amount of contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sweater (and the colors you have chosen for it). And the sweet blanket pictures are the best. It was definitely blanket weather this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm loving your sweater! Rainbow did a great job with those pics...and, wow, is she a Mini Me or what?!
    I'll be curious to hear how a new blankie's received by Sweet Nephew. Something tells me he's in love with his hand-me-down :) Which is a heart string tugger, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Look at that photo of Rainbow as a baby! I love her little strawberry hat and sweater. Sarah - you're making me broody and that is dangerous!! Your nephew is so cute and I'm amazed that little blanket has withstood the test of time - nice work Mama/Auntie!

    I am in love with the colors you chose for your new sweater - blues and greens are my favorites and this one ticks all my boxes. Enjoy!

    Our long weekend was also rainy and cold, but more summer-like weather is quickly on its way. And the kids enjoyed the puddles in our driveway on Monday! I hope your week is going well - it's already Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that you could get together with your extended family over the weekend, Sarah! What a joyful thing! (Thanks, Science.) Your sweater looks fabulous! I love the playful colors you're using. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, these first-time gatherings are just the best, aren't they?!! and I LOVE the colors in your sweater ... thank you Rainbow for that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look absolutely beautiful. The colours are fantastic on you, and it looks just great. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete