Pages

Friday, January 28, 2022

Growth in 2022: January

With everything going on this week -- the Mister being away on a trip, snow, bitter cold, work -- I totally spaced out on my One Little Word update earlier in the week. So I'm playing catch-up now. Thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-ups again this year!

While a lot of the growth I've had in mind for this year has been of a personal nature, I'm also thinking of ways to expand my skills or knowledge. I'm of the opinion that no matter how long we've been doing something or how well we do it, we can always learn new things, and in 2022, I want to take that approach to my knitting. You know that I've been knitting for a very long time, more than three-quarters of my life. But there are many techniques I've never tried, and this is my year to try them.

First there was the tubular bind-off. It seemed so complicated until I actually sat down to do it and saw that it was nothing more than an extra couple of rows (and easy ones, at that) and a graft. I've done it twice now on my sweater and plan to do it on the cuffs of the sleeves as well. And now that I've done the bind-off, I'm more motivated to learn the tubular cast-on as well.

Another skill I'd like to learn is the moebius cast-on. Fortuitously, Sivia Harding was recently running a sale on her patterns, so I saw it as the perfect opportunity to buy a cowl pattern that uses it:

Harmonia's Rings (Ravelry link)


I've long been thinking about making a moebius cowl with the yarn I spun a little more than a year ago with my HipStrings Base12 set, and I have just about the right amount of yarn in this skein (I'm sure I can add some more of something that will complement it if I need to or just end the cowl a bit early).


I'd really like to get started on this -- but the WIPs, particularly my sweater, my socks, and my combo spin, come first! I think the desire to try out a new skill will be good motivation to finish up my current projects.

If you've been knitting a long time like me, are there certain skills or techniques that you've never used that you want to try this year?

Have a wonderful weekend, and stay safe and warm if you're in the path of the big storm headed up the East Coast!

9 comments:

  1. I have Cat Bordhi's book on moebius knitting. She had some crazy designs that all "grew" from a moebius cast on! Hmm, I should pull that book out and look! I have LOTS of skeins of handspun yarn that are patiently waiting to "become something more than a skein!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved that Sivia Harding cowl! The moebius cast-on seems like a good skill to learn and the cowl will be beautiful in your handspun. I don't have any new skills in mind, but I do want to knit things besides Hitchhikers this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is one of the fun things about taking our words from all the angles throughout the year. Something tells me you'll finish up those WIPs at a pretty quick pace, with that motivation! Cozy weekend wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting and beautiful cowl. I'm sure you will have no issues with learning that new skill. Hope you are safe and warm this weekend. I heard/read about the bridge collapse!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a pretty skein of handspun. I wouldn't say stranded colorwork is a brand new skill for me but I'd like to get better at it this year. The tubular cast on and bind off is also on my to learn list. It's amazing to think how long we have been knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been anxiously checking your blog all week, worried that I'd missed your OLW update. (Sometimes I don't get non-Wordpress posts in my feed until days after they've been posted, which is quite annoying.) So yay! Here it is!!

    Learning new skills is a great way to find growth in 2022. It's something I try to do with my crafting too - it can be intimidating to try something new when you've been doing it one way for so long. I'm an English knitter but have always wanted to be a continental one. I've been thinking of casting on something in which gauge isn't very important (like a shawl) and giving it a try. But like I said... intimidating! I'll feel like a Baby Knitter again, I'm sure :p

    That's a gorgeous skein of yarn that you have there and it will be so pretty in that cowl. I'm looking forward to seeing everything you tackle this year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your growth sounds like my practice. I've never knit a steek before and that's on my list for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful way to embody your word this year, Sarah! I did a project using a moebius cast on WAY back in the days before Ravelry (a Cat Bordhi pattern). I don't have the cowl anymore, but I do remember it being pretty magical. I love the pattern you've chosen, and think it will be lovely in your yarn. Can't wait to watch it . . . grow! XO

    ReplyDelete
  9. I learn by doing, too - love the project you've chosen for the moebius! that's a technique I've never tried either.

    ReplyDelete