Pages

Monday, January 17, 2022

No Day Like a Snow Day

It's a snow day here in Western Pennsylvania! We were all scheduled to be off anyway for the holiday, but I'm glad that we're all home and don't have to go anywhere, because this is what we're seeing in our backyard this morning:


I'd estimate we've gotten at least six inches so far, and the snow is going to continue for at least 2-3 more hours, so we might get a couple more inches before this storm is done. In the past, I would've gotten really anxious watching the snow come down because I'd be worrying about having to drive in it. I'm less worried about it these days, but when it snows like this on a day when we can all be home, I really get to enjoy it. We might go out for a walk as a family later so we can see how pretty the neighborhood looks, but I expect to spend the day mainly inside -- spinning, knitting, and staying warm.

Rainbow and I had a fun time puppy-sitting over the weekend. Other than taking him out for walks in absolutely frigid temperatures, it was an easy job, and he was happy to see us.


He spent a lot of time snoozing on "his" chair in the living room, but he was very cute yesterday morning when he heard us moving around upstairs and ran up to greet us -- it was like he forgot we were there and was jumping with excitement to see us! Because we didn't spend a lot of time playing with him (we tried; he just wasn't interested), I got quite a lot of knitting done! The body of my May(be) Queen is almost done. I've got just a few rows left on the back ribbing and the front ribbing to do (the bottom has a split hem and is longer in back than in front).

I think I'll be able to finish the body with the two original skeins, and I'll switch over to the two other skeins I have for the sleeves so that I don't add any more ends to weave in. I'm fairly certain I will be modifying the sleeves to make them more fitted and eliminating the stitch detail in favor of plain stockinette and a twisted rib cuff. I don't dislike the stitch detail, but I'm not hugely a fan of the puffed sleeve. This modification, though, will require a little math on my part, so I'll have to sit down with a measuring tape and a calculator and doing a little bit of work before I pick up for the first sleeve.

Before any of that, though, I'm going to spend some time at my wheel this morning. I started plying my combo spin singles late last week, and I'm eager to see the finished yarn!

I hope you are enjoying your Monday and staying safe and warm if you're getting snow like us!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like your puppy weekend was FUN!! He looks like a sweet pup for sure. Looking back at your post from Friday (which I missed), those mittens are great! And, they should be so warm once felted. I loe the look of your Queen sweater Sarah - the colors are great (and will look great on you). I, too, am not a fan of puffy sleeves. I know you'll work it out just fine. Enjoy your snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute pup! I'm glad you enjoyed your time with him. I like the sweater, Sarah! (And I can't stand puffy sleeves on sweaters. I'll be happy when that trend disappears. . . )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you had a ball with the dog! and I love your planned mods to the sweater. can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pup... and your smiling face! :) (and I just love the "morning reunions" with doggos...honestly, it is just the best thing!)

    I like your modifications... I am in the Kym Camp of not being a fan of puffy sleeve sweaters. I have tried, they catch on everything! (although maybe that is more an issue with the wearer than the designer! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a lovely snow day! Even as an adult, there is still something exciting about a snow day, especially if you've had a puppy for the weekend. Your sweater is looking good and I also applaud your decision for more fitted sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like it was the coziest of cozy days there...so glad you had all the pieces in place to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a mild, for January, weekend and start to the week. A polar plunge is coming over night. I'm glad you were all home to enjoy the snowy day and the puppy. I am not a fan of the puffy sleeve trend. Seems like they would get in my way. Your sweater progress is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your snow was easy to clean up and your Tuesday went smoothly! That is a cute pup - what a treat to spend the night with him!

    ReplyDelete