Pages

Friday, January 21, 2022

Not That I'm Saying I'm an Old Dog

One of the things I love about knitting is that no matter how long I've been doing it, I can always learn something new. Something that's been on my list to learn for quite a while is a tubular bind-off. Mary has been raving about this bind-off for quite some time, and it seemed like kismet that May(be) Queen called for it. As with most knitting techniques, once I actually sat down to do it, it turned out to be not nearly as difficult or as scary as I'd imagined -- really it was more time consuming than anything else.


When you do a tubular bind-off, what you're essentially doing is creating a horizontal channel (or tube) along the edge of your fabric. In this particular pattern, I was working in 1x1 rib, so there was a two-row set-up for the bind-off. In each row, I knit the knit stitches and slipped the purl stitches with the yarn in front. Next, I slipped the stitches to two needles, the knit stitches to the needle in front and the purl stitches to the needle in back. The final step is a very long graft. If you're someone who hates grafting the toe of a sock, I'd advise against this bind-off. Me? I happen to love grafting, so I didn't mind at all. I think the edge will improve with blocking but is already very attractive, and I'm excited to do it again for the other hem of this split-hem sweater.

[As an aside, I wanted to mention that I am making an effort to use the more generic term "grafting" to describe this method of stitching rather than "Kitchener stitch." The stitch was so named because it was believed that it came about during WWI, when the Earl of Kitchener was the British secretary of state for war and women were encouraged to knit socks for British soldiers. But the man was also responsible for some pretty terrible humanitarian tragedies, like concentration camps in South Africa, that I'd rather not associate with knitting.]

Also, I thought I'd share this photo of the "shark fin" sock on the foot, so you can see how it fits. It could use some blocking, but I'm quite happy with it.


As further proof of the pattern, I'm going to knit the second sock toe up, and then we'll see if anyone can tell which was knit which way at a glance. It's going to be a frigid weekend, so I'm hoping I can set aside some time to sit down with my numbers and write up a draft of the pattern to get to my tech editor. (And if any of you wants to test this out before it's formally published, let me know!)

Are there any knitting tricks you've picked up recently or that you want to try?

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I did a tubular bind off on a sweater and I agree... it is a lovely, stretchy and so neat looking bind off!

    I think that heel looks marvelous! Well done you! (and thank you for updating my lingo to use grafting instead of Kitchener)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had a reason to try a tubular bind off but I'm glad to know it's not too fussy. I also don't mind grafting and I did not know the history behind kitchener, thank you for that information. Enjoy your weekend INSIDE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An interesting technique with some history, too! I'm not sure the tubular bind-off is for me as I'm not a fan of grafting. Whenever I do even a few stitches on the toe of a sock I have to talk to myself and John often chooses those moments to try and talk to me. It just makes me say "knit off, purl on..." even louder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woohoo for that tubular bind-off ... and thank you for the PSA about using the term grafting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa - the sock looks great. I was just thinking about a tubular bind-off today. I keep meaning to give it a try. Thanks for the info about "grafting." I did know it was named after the general but not the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to know that the tubular bind off is not all that fussy. I'm another one who does not mind grafting at all - I find it to be almost meditative in a way. Your shark fin looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use the tubular bind-off from time to time, too. It turns out very nicely! And . . . I will be referring to "grafting" as grafting (instead of that other term) henceforth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. KUDOS to you for the tubular bind-off! I made one tubular cast on and I think it turned out okay, but it was definitely fussy (I might try again one day).

    I really love the colours of your new sock (and I have to admit that I do have a week spot for that kind of winding). I hope the toe-up version works just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This year is all about learning new knitting tricks for me!

    ReplyDelete