Pages

Monday, April 25, 2022

Growth in 2022: April

 

Another month is about to pass us by, and this one has felt simultaneously very long and very short. It's been busy at work and busy at home, and we've gone through several cycles of going back and forth between winter and spring. And now we find ourselves arriving at the final week of April, which means it's time to look back and see how my One Little Word has made itself known. Thanks, as always, to Carolyn (who is celebrating her birthday today!) for hosting our monthly link-up.

I was thinking about this post over the weekend and finding myself at a bit of a loss as to how I had experienced Growth this past month. Because of the aforementioned busy schedule, I didn't feel like I'd had the time to be intentional about a particular area of personal growth. But then I realized that I have experienced some real growth this month, though I wasn't really aware of it at the time. Remember how chaotic that first weekend of the month was for us? Now if you know me well, you'll know that I like predictability and consistency and that unexpected events are often anxiety provoking for me. I'm a worrier by nature, and I don't like surprises. I have taken anxiety medication for years and have been through a lot of therapy over the years, but those things don't entirely get rid of my natural tendencies. So you can imagine how shocked I was when I looked back at that long day of attempted travel and realized that I did not lose my cool at all that day. Was I annoyed and disappointed? Sure. But I don't remember any moments of feeling overwhelming anxiety, even when I was literally sweating.

So what's caused this growth in my ability to keep my cool? Is it age or maturity? A greater realization of just how little control I have over how events in the world transpire thanks to the pandemic? The right amount of drugs in my system? Who knows! Why I'm calmer seems to be less important than the fact that I am, especially given that in addition to life's usual ups and downs, we have a bat mitzvah coming up later this year and it's bound to be a stressful as well as a happy occasion. I'm also continually aware of how I can model the ways I can difficult moments in life for Rainbow, who very much has the same emotional constitution, and I have to think that my calm on that airplane helped to keep her from completely melting down.

I hope April has been a good month for you and that your own journey with your One Little Word (if you have one) has been fulfilling this month. I'll see you back here on Wednesday for a crafting and reading update!

12 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your (unintentional ?) growth! It may be due to a combination of all the reasons you listed. Knowing why isn't terribly important, but the growth is. Our children are always paying attention to how we react, so your growth is very good for both you and Rainbow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would call that major growth! And, as Bonny stated, good for both you and Rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think growth that you recognize after the fact is fantastic and shows that you have really hit your stride with coping with anxiety - at least of the travel variety. Thanks for sharing your growth journey with us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just so cool, Sarah! How wonderful to experience this kind of personal growth . . . and not even realize it until . . . you realize it! It's actually kind of spine-tingling, y'know? XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't that kind of wild, that you didn't even notice the growth while it was happening... which feels like the way it should be, kind of. This feels like something big, and something you can share, and something you'll take with you. Huge!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like major growth to me. Getting through that weekend and realizing the stressful experience provided opportunity for growth is very admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I agree with all of the previous commenters - about how amazing it is to live through a situation, reflect on it, and realize how our responses today are totally different than they would have been before.

    Also -- have you already been home for 3-4 weeks? That sounds impossible! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bravo to you on your (unexpected??) growth! When something clicks about a word and it happens almost without our notice... well just HURRAH! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These monthly check-ins are invaluable for so many reasons - I love how your reflection revealed surprising growth. Of course it was there all along, but seeing it in hindsight made it even better. and how cool that Rainbow gets to see real grown-up behavior modeled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel age has a little bit to do with how we handle certain situations and as we get older some things no longer bother us. Pinpointing this one moment in time allowed you to realize you have grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no doubt that age and its associated maturity help a lot, but I still noticed that my reaction to this situation was different even to just a couple of years ago. I think I've greatly changed in my ability to let go of the things outside my control, and I know my mental health is better because of it.

      Delete
  11. I am so proud of you, not only that you got through the unfortunate events (what a day that was) well, but also for being able to recognise it as such. I have found that it is very worthwhile to look back on the times when you just went with the flow and rode the waves as they came without thinking, because there wasn't time or possibility, and then realising: "Oh wow, I actually rode that!" Woot!

    ReplyDelete