Pages

Wednesday, April 06, 2022

Unraveled, Week 14/2022

We're home! We didn't get back until about 6 yesterday evening, but our flight was on time and actually made it off the ground this time. We had a little turbulence as we flew over the storms moving through the South, but we landed more or less on time (we were due in at 4:10 and landed at 4:12 -- quite an appropriate time!). Of course, that meant that once we got our bags from luggage claim and met up with our car service to get home, it was smack in the middle of rush hour, but I was so happy to be back home that I didn't care. We spent the evening doing a quick unpack of our bags, finding something to eat, and trying to settle down enough to sleep.

Now that it's Wednesday, I'm playing a lot of catch-up at home given that I expected to have at least half a weekend to do stuff around the house, but here's where working from home has its perks. I've got two loads of laundry in right now! And though it's later in the morning than I'd usually blog, I'm finally getting around to linking up with Kat and the Unravelers to catch you up on my crafting and my reading.

I did indeed finish the body of my sweater on Monday afternoon -- it took a good couple of hours to graft the tubular bind off! It's a bit wrinkly from being shoved in a bag in my suitcase and obviously needs a good blocking but you can see that the fit is good and has an appropriate amount of positive ease this time around:


Kindly ignore the mess behind me and the fact that I clearly don't know where to look to make it look like I'm actually looking at the camera!

I planned to wait until I was home to start the sleeves so that I could measure another sweater and do some basic calculations (I'm once again going off-piste on the sleeves), so I figured I might as well make it worth it to have dragged a third project with me to Florida and started a Hitchhiker with the leftovers from my handspun Shifty pullover. I haven't gotten very far (I added another tooth last night), but I do like how it's working up already and am delighted to have found a way to use up all this beautiful yarn instead of letting it sit in the leftovers bag.


Finally, I'm trying to finish up Rainbow's socks. The second one was my travel knitting yesterday; I placed the sparkly progress keeper when we got in the car to go to the airport in Florida, and all the knitting above that was completed before we got home. 


It looks like I have about 3-4 inches of foot left to knit before I start the toe, and I expect this will see some attention during work meetings during the rest of the week and might even get finished this weekend. (And Rainbow might even get a chance to wear them if I do -- I saw snow in the forecast for Sunday!)

I finished two books this last week, both very good reads!

A number of people I know were reading (or rereading) Middlemarch along with the Novel Pairings podcast for their discussion last month, but rather than rereading it myself, I listened to My Life in Middlemarch, which is sort of a mixture of memoir, biography, and literary criticism. The author considers Middlemarch to be among her favorite books and one that's meant different things to her at different points in her life. But she also does a very thorough job of covering the really fascinating life of George Eliot and the writing of and possible influences on the novel. I listened to this while walking and quite enjoyed it. I gave it 4 stars.


Though A Constellation of Vital Phenomena came out in 2014, I never heard about it at the time, and I have to thank Mary for getting it on my radar. In a way, I'm very glad to have come to it at this point in time because there are so many echoes in this book of what is currently happening in Ukraine, even though it's set in Chechnya in the '90s and early 2000s. I'll admit that while I did hear about vague atrocities in Chechnya at the time, I was quite ignorant of the truth and the enormity of the political situation, and I am glad to have read this book for that reason alone, but the writing is also gorgeous and powerful. It's not an easy book to read, as it deals with war, torture, and ethnic cleansing, but it's an excellent one. I gave it 4.5 stars.


I'm still savoring my way through Braiding Sweetgrass on paper, and on Monday I had just started the next Read With Us selection, Young Mungo, when I got a notice that my hold on The Books of Jacob was ready from the library. This is a Big Book that's going to take a while to get through; I'm currently on page 829, which sounds like I'm ready far through it except for the fact that the book starts on page 965 and works its way down to page 1, so in reality I'm not very far into it at all -- about 15%, according to the Kindle app. I'll be prioritizing it in order to finish it before the library yanks it back.

What are you making and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. I thought I'd misread when you said you were on page 829! Backward numbering reminds me of the conversation I had with a few MMD folks who were considering rereading Apeirogon--backwards this time... So glad you and Rainbow made it back, on time, in good spirits. And while I didn't notice any mess in the background of your selfie, I do see gorgeous wall color! What is the name of the shade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you arrived home safely without travel issues. I'm sure you'll feel better when you're caught up with laundry and the rest of your life, but hopefully work will cooperate. Your sweater looks like a perfect fit this time, Rainbow's socks are great, and I'm loving your Hitchhiker so far. (What is this nonsense about snow?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you and Rainbow are home safely. I realize I have never read any George Eliot books! I wonder how that is possible. Your sweater looks perfect Sarah (I'm still loving that color so much). And your Hitchhiker is going to be gorgeous as well. Let's not talk about sn*w, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home to you and Rainbow! I bet it felt great to sleep in your own bed last night. The sweater looks fabulous, as does your other knitting. And hooray for Middlemarch love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home! I'm excited you're going to try Books of Jacob - do you have 21 days? you can do it! Kindle could be the perfect way to read that book, especially if the X-ray feature is turned on ... I spent way too much time trying to remember who was who :-) (and p.s. that Hitchhiker!!!! LOVE!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome home! Wooo! That is great news :)

    I too love the numbering of The Books of Jacob. (I cannot get through it in 21 days... but miraculously, I don't have to!!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome home. The few days of reentry and catching up will go by quickly. The sweater looks great and I see no mess behind you. The hitchhiker will be very pretty and I imagine Rainbow will love those socks. Take good care and get some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First, welcome home. Second, your sweater looks divine. Third, I adore Anthony Marra so much ('The Tsar of Love and Techno' is one of my very favorite books), and can't wait for his newest book to come out later this year. And I purchased a copy of The Books of Jacob when it first came out, but I probably won't read it until summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you made it back! And you're right - working from home is so helpful when you're trying to play catch up. What a whirlwind!

    Look at you in that sweater - so lovely! And that hitchhiker looks like so much fun.

    I hope you're enjoying The Books of Jacob. I heard it's wacky and weird. I typically like that in a book, but I'm worried that it might be TOO wacky and weird? I'm next on the waiting list at the library and am anxious to get started. I hope I don't run out of time with it (I probably will). I'll have another Audible credit soon; I'm thinking of using it on this so that I can spend more time with it? So many decisions!

    (Also, what mess? There's no mess behind you!)

    ReplyDelete