Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Unraveled, Week 17/2022

Good morning from a very chilly Western Pennsylvania, where the high today is expected to be something like 45F. Time to get out the sweaters and wool socks again! It's Wednesday, which means it's time for my weekly check-in with Kat and the Unravelers.

I am still very monogamously knitting on my handspun Hitchhiker, trying very hard to finish it up before the end of the month. At present, it has 53 teeth/points and I have 56 g of yarn remaining. To give you a sense of size, here it is spread across a queen-size bed:

I don't anticipate stretching it much when I block it, nor do I think I will need to -- this shawl will be big enough to comfortably wrap around me!

It's been a good reading week, with two good books finished.

I know a number of you have already read All That She Carried: The Journey of Ashley's Sack, a Black Family Keepsake; if you haven't yet, I'd recommend that you do. This is a scholarly work of nonfiction but a very readable one -- and yet it's difficult to read because of the subject matter. The author uses a historical artifact to bring home the point that we know so little of the family history of those descended from enslaved people in this country because the institution of slavery was designed to take away their humanity in so many ways. The examination of this cloth sack and what it contained illuminates how those who were enslaved fought to maintain their humanity and their family ties in spite of the barriers they faced. I gave it 4 stars.


When I found myself without any new podcast episodes to listen to over the weekend, I borrowed the audiobook of Murder on the Orient Express from the library, and it was a real delight. It's narrated by Dan Stevens, and while I usually don't care much for readers who do voices/accents in audiobooks, he did an excellent job with very believable accents. I believe this may have been the first Agatha Christie novel I've actually read, though I've seen a number of shows/series and movies based upon her novels over the years. I had such fun with this one that I'm sure I will read more. I gave this one 4 stars as well.


I have just started The Last Report of the Miracles at Little No Horse for the next Erdrich-along discussion, and I think I'll soon be getting back to Young Mungo.

What are you making and reading this week?

13 comments:

  1. That is a stunning Hitchhiker, and I love that it's going to be large enough to wrap twice and keep you warm. I've knit a couple with 59 teeth, but yours may be even bigger!

    I listened to Orient Express a while ago and was surprised to have it narrated by Matthew Crawley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hitchhiker is BIG and beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Hitchhiker Sarah! That will feel so good wrapped around you - hopefully not need until NEXT winter! I don't think I've read (at least not recently) any Agatha Christie stories, but we have watched so many on PBS and Brit Box. They are always enjoyable (even if they mostly involve murder).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah your Hitchhiker is absolutely gorgeous! I love Agatha Christie and have read pretty much all of her books. I haven’t thought about listening to her works as audiobooks, that would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina! I really enjoyed this audiobook and am going to see who narrates some of the others in the Poirot series.

      Delete
  5. Gorgeous Hitchhiker indeed! Wow! (and Yes I have socks and a wool sweater on today... and the darned heat is on again, sigh.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for that Hitchhiker - and I sure hope I didn't jinx the weather for you. Looks like you might need it outdoors when you finish it! If you want more excellent Christie on audio, see if you can find ones that Hugh Fraser narrates. He played Captain Hastings in the Masterpiece Poirot adaptations (with David Suchet) and he's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hitchhiker is so pretty. All that handspun will be so warm on a chilly day. I loved All That She Carried. I find myself in a reading lull, maybe I should look for an Agatha Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was chilly in NH, too. Yikes!! The hardest part for me is all the wind.

    Your hitchhiker looks like it's grown a LOT - beautiful! And I enjoy a good Agatha Christie. I still haven't read that one despite it being one of her most famous! I tend to steer more towards the Miss Marple books but enjoy Poirot as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your Hitchhiker is just fabulous, Sarah! But I really do hope that once you cast off, you can just pack it away until fall. (Real Spring's gotta get here for good someday, don't you think???) I loved reading ALL the Agatha Christie's I could get my hands on when I was young. She is truly a master!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:20 AM

    I already admired your hitchiker on ravelry, and I have to say, I love how the colours are coming together! Are you going to keep knitting until you are out of yarn? (Probably, right?)
    As for the books, I have to admit that I haven't read many Agatha Christie novels (despite my mother owning the whole collection and loving it!), but I have read one or two and I truly love the aesthetics of logics that Poirot provides. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. (the anonymous comment was done by me, sorry)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Murder on the Orient Express--what a fun choice! I might tuck that one in my back pocket in the event of a Classic square on a Book Bingo. Surely it should count?! (And LOVE your colors--your Hitchhiker looks gorgeous, and the white background is perfect for showcasing!)

    ReplyDelete