Pages

Thursday, April 07, 2022

The Return of Poetry

No, your eyes do not deceive you -- I am indeed posting on a Thursday, even though it's not one of my current regular days to blog! But for the month of April, National Poetry Month, I'll be sharing poetry each Thursday along with Bonny, Kat, and Kym. If you haven't already, be sure to check out their posts today for the selections they've shared.

The theme for this first week was Hope. Because of how this week ended up, I did a bit of a cop-out and went to an old standby: Emily Dickinson. I'm actually sharing two poems this week because I suspect most (or at least many) of you are probably familiar with this first one or at least its first line:

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I've heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.


Here is the second one, less familiar to me:

Hope is a subtle glutton;
    He feeds upon the fair;
And yet, inspected closely,
    What abstinence is there!

His is the halcyon table
    That never seats but one,
And whatsoever is consumed
    The same amounts remain.

In these times when there is so much suffering in the world, I wish you hope that never gets consumed.

7 comments:

  1. I don't think Emily Dickinson is a cop-out at all! I know the first line of the first one, but it's interesting how much the rest of the poem lends to its meaning. And the second one with hope as a subtle glutton describes a new and unique way for me to think about hope. May there be an infinite supply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I don't think I had ever heard or read that second poem. Very interesting...making you stop and think! Thanks for sharing Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never read the second poem, Sarah! And it is really quite brilliant... it makes one think... and that is always a very good thing!

    I hope your week is more settled. And full of never ending hope!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that Emily Dickinson could never be a cop out! Poetry is almost always better by revisiting it and I'm happy to actually read the second half.

    I'm looking forward to your poetry posts this month, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a perfect way to begin Poetry Month, Sarah. (And count me in the Emily-Dickinson-is-never-a-copout camp!) Thanks so much for sharing! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am never disappointed when I go to her for a poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I didn't know about this Thursday thing - LOVE IT! and Emily Dickinson is always a welcome treat in my feed ... always!

    ReplyDelete