Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Poetry on Thursday: A Poem in Your Pocket

Though we are a day early for National Poem in Your Pocket Day, but that's what we've chosen to share this final Thursday in April. Today I am sharing a short and hopeful poem from How to Love the World: Poems of Gratitude and Hope, a collection edited by James Crews that Kym surprised us with last year at the conclusion of April. I have been slowly working my way through this lovely little book, and I'm finding that words of gratitude and hope have been very welcome. This poem felt just perfect for this particular time of year.

Promise
by Barbara Crooker

This day is an open road
stretching out before you.
Roll down the windows.
Step into your life, as if it were a fast car.
Even in industrial parks,
trees are covered with white blossoms,
festive as brides, and the air is soft
as a well-wash shirt on your arms.
The grass has turned implausibly green.
Tomorrow, the world will begin again,
another fresh start. The blue sky stretches,
shakes out its tent of light. Even dandelions glitter
in the lawn, a handful of golden change.


Be sure to visit Bonny, Kat, and Kym today for the poems they've chosen, and you'll start out your Friday with four poems in your pocket!

9 comments:

  1. I'd be glad to have this poem in my pocket! I'm not sure my life is a fast car, but it is a fun metaphor. I love the trees covered with white and pink blossoms, the implausible green of the grass, and dandelions glittering in the garden. (John digs them out but they multiply and show their shining faces faster than he can get rid of them.) Thanks for sharing, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect poem to have in your pocket, Sarah. Thanks for sharing it today -- and for all the other wonderful poems you've shared this month. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo! I like this poem, Sarah! (although, I am with Bonny on not being too sure I am a fast car... lol) But the imagery is so wonderful! I especially love the reminder that tomorrow the world begins again. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that anthology, too. Thanks for sharing this poem with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good, good poem Sarah. Like Bonny and Kat, I am definitely NOT a fast car, but the imagery is wonderful and the dandelions! thinking of them glittering is so much nicer than thinking of having to dig out the "weeds." Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring is everywhere ... even in the dandelions - and I know Kym loves them, too! Thank you for the poems you shared here this month - I enjoyed all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that is a wonderful poem Sarah… thank you so much for sharing 😊

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely poem. I read another poem by Crooker and have been meaning to look for a volume by this poet. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete