Pages

Monday, May 30, 2022

Growth in 2022: May

I'm not sure why it is that it seems like the days go faster as they get longer; this month has gone by incredibly quickly, and I'll admit I was a little surprised at the fact that it's already the last Monday of the month. That means it's time to check in with my One Little Word. Thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly OLW link-up!

I was honestly struggling to come up with an example of how I've experienced Growth this past month, because there didn't seem to be anything obvious. But one lesson that I seem to be getting regularly this year is that often the growth I experience isn't obvious and. it takes some real reflection to find it. And that was the case in May.

You're all probably aware that I am on our synagogue's board because I have mentioned some marathon board meetings in the past six months or so. We've been dealing with some Very Big Issues that have required a lot of mentally and emotionally taxing discussions, and this volunteer position has turned out to be a much bigger time commitment than I anticipated. When this first started, I was at the beginning of my second three-year term on the board, and I was already saying to my family that I was glad that after this term I'd be required by the bylaws to rotate off the board. But somewhere along the way, I found myself actually valuing these meetings, as painful as they have been, and finding that my commitment to the board and to the organization has grown. And I surprised myself earlier this month by accepting a nomination to serve on the board's executive committee as secretary.

It's not a done deal yet -- the slate of officers and board members has to be approved by the entire congregation at the annual meeting, and because of the recent upheaval, there's a chance that a group of congregants will try to install their own slate on the board -- but I think that I've accepted the nomination to a position that means more service and more hours of involvement shows some growth on my part. I am generally not a person who proactively tries to lead or take on leadership roles, as I am shy by nature and generally prefer to be working in the background, but I've realized that by making a bigger commitment to things that are important to me, I can make a bigger impact and get more out of the experience.

7 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful and admirable example of growth! I tend to guard my private time (perhaps a bit too closely as an introvert) so I really applaud your continued commitment and service as a fellow introvert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Taking on leadership roles is a huge sign of growth, especially when it's not your natural tendency. I always admire people who willingly take on those responsibilities because I am definitely NOT one of them.

    I hope the voting goes well. Sorry to hear that your congregation has been experiencing so much turmoil. I wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sarah! What an exciting development for you. How wonderful for you - and for your synagogue, too - that your experience has deepened your commitment, and that you're ready to take on this new role. It's such a perfect moment of growth! May your new role serve as a door to new experiences and continued personal growth. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you! I'm impressed that you have grown in a way that enables you to step outside of your comfort zone. Your synagogue is lucky to have you in this important leadership role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Sarah! This is some incredible growth!! How excellent for you and your synagogue! But perhaps the best part is how you recognized your growth in this... it is easy to step back from volunteer things but you have stepped onto the path to make a difference and that is a very good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. '...finding that my commitment to the board and to the organization has grown.' This feels like a gem of a Growth observation, Sarah! The glimpse you give of the struggles (the group who may try to install their own slate) gives a sense of the intense time it's been. What a steady presence you can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh yay Sarah! I echo all the comments that have come before me - those volunteer leadership roles are so important to continuing the organizations we value. I know I've complained a bit about my years-long role with our church's women's ministry, but that role has grown my faith and allowed me to serve in ways I never imagined ... it's the best kind of blessing.

    ReplyDelete