Pages

Friday, May 06, 2022

Taking a Day Off

Well, we have made it to Friday. Yesterday, after feeling crummy for several days, I decided to take a sick day today (which is something I can well afford to do, given that I seem to have 90+ sick days saved up) so I can just rest. It's a rainy, miserable day here, so it's a good one to spend sitting and knitting.

One thing I will be doing today is making challah to take to Friday night dinner at my parents' tonight. I know I've shared photos of my challahs before, but I don't think I've actually shared the recipe, so I thought I would do that today in case you'd like to bake up a loaf or two yourself.

The last challah I baked, when we were in Florida


Chani's Sweet Challah
While this recipe can be made without a stand mixer, I highly recommend using one if you have one unless you want an extra arm workout!

Ingredients:
    1 tbsp active dry yeast
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cup warm water
    2 eggs (+ extra for brushing)
    3/4 cups sugar
    4 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    3 tbsp vegetable oil
    raisins (optional; allow to soak in warm water to rehydrate before adding)

Dissolve yeast, 1/2 tsp sugar, and warm water in mixing bowl. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes, until fairly bubbly. Add the rest of the sugar, oil, and eggs and whisk until very fluffy. Add salt and mix.

Gradually add flour cup by cup (use mixing blade to start and change to dough hook when dough becomes thick enough). Add raisins, if using. Knead until smooth. Place dough in an oiled bowl and cover. Place in oven on proof/prove setting over a pan of hot water and allow to rise for 60-90 minutes.

Form into loaf/loaves and brush with egg mixed with some water. Place back into oven and allow to rise for one hour. Bake at 350 F for about 35 minutes.

This recipe will make one large loaf or two smaller loaves. And I have no idea who Chani is -- her name was on the recipe when I got it from a friend!

I hope you enjoy the challah if you bake some, and I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing weekend!

6 comments:

  1. Happy weekend and Happy Mother's Day. I hope you are feeling better and a day off - especially a rainy, grey one - sounds perfect. Your challah always looks SO GOOD!! Mailing was making challah a lot, but now that Colin has gone back to being vegan, that's off the list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired your challah loaves; they are beautiful and I'm sure they taste wonderful. I will try this recipe sometime and thank you for sharing it. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That bread looks so good! And nothing beats the smell of bread rising in your home... it is one of my favorite aromas (second only to the baking of the bread!)

    I hope your weekend was restful and that your Mother's Day was perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you enjoyed a lovely, restful weekend, Sarah. The bread looks so tasty -- and I'll be it smelled divine. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. That bread looks delicious. I hope you are feeling better by now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this went straight into my favourits. Thank you so much! I'll try it once I have a little more time, it looks great.

    ReplyDelete