Pages

Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Return of Spinning Sunday

It's been a long time since I last published a Spinning Sunday post. Do you remember when they were a weekly thing? I've obviously been in some kind of funk with my spinning, because this skein took me a good three months to spin; in the past, I've spun an entire sweater's quantity of yarn in less time than that. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'm trying not to analyze it too much and instead focus on going forward.

This finished skein started with three bags of fiber from the Ross Farm, two faun-colored CVM and one chocolate brown Romney. I weighed all the fiber beforehand and had 114 g of the CVM and 50 g of the Romney (a total of 164 g or about 5.78 oz.), so I knew that if I spun a ply from each back of fiber, the Romney was going to run out before the CVM did and, if I wanted to use up all the singles or as much as I could, I'd have a section of the skein that was CVM only, though the majority of it would be a slightly marled three-ply yarn. If you look closely at the finished yarn, you can see a definite difference in texture, which I attribute to the slightly different characteristics of the two wool breeds -- the CVM having more crimp than the Romney and thus making the yarn that contains both breeds a little bumpy and textured after washing.


All the fiber was roving, meaning it was carded and all the fibers were jumbled, so the surface of the finished yarn is much more uneven than what you might be used to seeing from me. I think part of the reason the spinning took as long as it did is because I was stopping so frequently to pull out VM (the fiber was minimally processed) and neps.


I'd spun this yarn with the intention of using it as the contrast color in the matching Garland and Little Garland (Ravelry links) sweaters I want to knit for me and Rainbow later this year. It's definitely the fingering weight I need, though certainly a bit more thick and thin than the main yarn, and I have more than enough yardage, at approximately 545 yards in this skein. I think it goes really well with the combo spin yarn that will be the main color, too:


I'm determined to keep the spinning going at a more reasonable pace now, and to that end, I started my next project yesterday. This is the oldest Southern Cross Fibre club shipment in my stash, from December 2015, and as predicted, it wants to be spun as very fine singles:

For those of you outside the U.S., that's a dime/10 cent coin, approximately 1.7 cm in diameter.
 



It turns out that rose fiber has a very similar feel to bamboo, tencel, and other faux silks I've spun over the years. It's a bit slippery, but it's nothing I can't handle. I am spinning the fiber from one end to the other and will chain-ply the singles in the end for what I imagine will be a yarn with tons of shine and drape.

9 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing those handspuns used together when you cast on Garland and Little Garland. I've been reading a bit about rose fiber and while it's really just cellulose, there's something a bit magical about cellulose from rose stems. It looks like fine and shiny so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the colours were a problem? I mean, you did say that the photos were a little bland because there is just this one thing, and if you have to stop so often to pick out stuff that probably adds, too (because you can't spin as effortlessly).
    Both sweaters look fantastic and they will look great! Will you both have the natural coloured yarn as the CC or will Rainbow's sweater be a mirrored version of yours? (probably not, right? Not enough yardage in the natural coloured one?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose fiber sounds very intriguing, I may have to check that out. Absolutely love your finished Romney and think it’s an excellent choice for your Garland sweaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it feels very much like other plant-based silk substitutes, but that's not to say I don't like it!

      Delete
  4. Those Garland Sweaters will be amazing! So cool you and Rainbow can have matching sweaters. Your spinning both amazes and confuses me...I don't spin AT ALL, so most of the time I don't really know what you are talking about, but I enjoy the pictures and hope you are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love that slightly marled look. I'm getting more into "natural" colors and I am totally swooning over that neutral spin. And it goes really well with the beautiful greens that you're pairing it with.

    Your new spin is quite lovely. I am still so interested in the rose fiber!

    I know that writing blog posts is a lot of work and I'm not trying to pressure you at all, but I hope you're able to post more Spinning posts! They're so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes a little break . . . is good for the craft! :-) As always, your spinning is lovely, and as a non-spinner, I love learning from your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Kym... a step back can be so refreshing and inspiring... it makes one eager for the return!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your spinning is inspiring. What beautiful yarn. I'll be anxious to see how the sweaters knit up in that gorgeous handspun.

    ReplyDelete