Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Unraveled, Week 19/2022

It's Wednesday again already? That means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and talk about what I'm making and reading.

Fortunately there has been no actual unraveling here lately, though I did have to do a bit of tinking a couple of days ago when I discovered that I had paused mid-row on my brother's sweater and, when I picked it up again, started knitting in the wrong direction. Such a beginner mistake! Fortunately it did not take too much time to correct the error and get back on track. You may be able to see that it's grown just a bit since I shared it on Monday, and Rainbow's Hitchhiker is now up to 21 teeth:


Yesterday I threw another project into the mix -- or rather I revived one. My spinning mojo has been missing lately, I think because my current project is kind of boring because it's undyed fiber, but I realized that I only had one bobbin of singles left to spin, so I'm using the motivation of some dyed fiber that can go on the wheel next to get through it. This is fawn CVM, and it'll be plied with another bobbin of the same and a bobbin of slightly darker Romney when it's done.


My reading has been a bit all over the place lately thanks to library holds showing up sooner than expected (not entirely a bad thing!), but having multiple books in progress has meant finishing only one book in the last week.

The Wrong End of the Telescope is a book that came up in one of our Sunday Zoom sessions as a counterpoint to What Strange Paradise, as it addresses the same crisis of refugees fleeing Syria and other Middle Eastern nations. The main character, a trans Lebanese-American doctor, both tells her story and addresses the crisis she has arrived on the Greek island to help with, often addressing an unnamed writer she has met who has encouraged her to tell the story of the refugees she has met. Though the subject matter is weighty, the chapters are short and propulsive, making this a surprisingly easy read, even when the content is is tragic. I gave it 4 stars.



I expect to finish the audiobook I've been listening to, Beautiful Country, on this morning's walk. Yesterday I also started Ann Patchett's essay collection These Precious Days and got more than a quarter of the way through it, and I've once again picked up Young Mungo for the next Read With Us discussion.

What are you making and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that even you make beginner knitting mistakes! Both projects look lovely, as does your spinning. I keep getting distracted from Young Mungo by shiny, new library books (like Bittersweet) so I'm going to have to buckle down and finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to see you spinning again. Having too many books to read is a wonderful problem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good to see the spinning again - and love the progress you're making on both those knitting projects! and so many good books ... Young Mungo is near the top of my next month pile. I think I need to turn my library off for a month and read from my own shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, the "problem" of too many holds coming in at once - not really a "problem" per se, but I know what you mean. Both your projects are coming along nicely Sarah. I'm loving Rainbow's Hitchhiker and your brother's sweater just looks like such a soothing knit to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My library just re-opened this week (after a major renovation), and ALL my holds came in at once. It's like an avalanche of riches. Of course, also too many books to read at once. . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I frequently play Library Hold List Roulette... sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cables on your brother's sweater. BEAUTIFUL. The color on your Hitchhiker is gorgeous too. Aren't they so fun to make.

    In regards to your Canada goose babies comment on Vera's blog --- if you are on Instagram, I have photos of baby C. geese --- my Instagram is PointyLittleSticks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both knitting projects are beautiful. The cables in your brother's sweater and the garter stitch of a hitchhiker seem like a perfect mix. Keep on spinning. I love to read about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love watching your spins grow! It's such a pretty process :) I'm glad you enjoyed The Wrong End of the Telescope. When I read this, it felt like Mina was talking to us, the reader, as though we were Alameddine. I thought that was so clever and I really enjoyed that structure. I loved how the author slipped out of his skin, inhabited someone else, and shared his actual self with us, if that makes any sense. Probably not.

    ReplyDelete