Pages

Friday, December 08, 2023

More Light

This time of year is always hard for me. I know I've said this before, but what gets to me most in the winter isn't the cold (because I've got plenty of wool to deal with that) but the darkness. We've got a couple of weeks yet until the days start to get longer again, but in the meantime, we'll just have to make our own light. And Chanukah arrived last night to help with that.

Please ignore the mess

Celebrating Chanukah this year feels a bit challenging. It's a time when being a Jew publicly feels important to do but can also be dangerous. And of course I'm thinking of the hostages and their families, who aren't able to celebrate the holiday together. This year it feels more important than ever to add to the light. And if you need a little more lightness, can I recommend this fun take on Taylor Swift's Eras?

Tonight we will celebrate with my parents and my brother and his family. I'm excited for my nephew to celebrate his first Chanukah! We've got a pile of gifts to take with us, including the hat for my sister-in-law, which I did finish on Wednesday evening, right before bed, and then blocked yesterday:

I'm very happy with how it turned out, and now I just hope she likes it! I typically knit her socks, but I thought I'd try something different for a change. She's not really a hat person, but maybe a handmade hat will change her mind?

While I was ignoring my spinning while I focused on getting the hat finished up, I got back to it yesterday and was able to finish up the first half of my singles from my Fibernymph Dye Works minis. I'm showing the bobbin in black and while just so I don't spoil the colors for anyone, seeing as I am ahead of schedule.


I've opened up the next four bags so I can start spinning them today, and I hope I can finish the rest over the weekend. We don't really have anything planned this weekend (well, Mo has a work session at school tomorrow morning and then is sleeping over at her best friend's house tomorrow night for her birthday, but the Mister and I have nothing planned), and it's supposed to be cold and rainy, so I think that's a perfect excuse to sit at my wheel. I'm also hoping to finish up Go Tell the Bees; I've only got about 220 pages left, and that seems like a reasonable amount to read in a couple of days where I have nowhere to be.

Whatever your plans for the weekend, I hope they involve bringing some more light to the world. We could certainly all use it!

13 comments:

  1. Happy Chanukah Sarah! Wishing you much light and joy in the days ahead. The darkness doesn't really bother me, but it greatly impacts Fletch. He actually has a light to help combat seasonal affective disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chanukah, Sarah! (thank you so much for that fun video link!) May the light fill us all! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chanukah! Both of my kids had the same kindergarten teacher and they did a unit this time of year about Light. It was wonderful because it didn't focus on any specific holiday or religion but instead taught the lesson that almost all the winter holidays (Christmas, Chanukah, Diwali, Kwanzaa, Santa Lucia Day, Bodhi Day) focused on bringing more light. I learned a lot and always think about it when I light my candles at dinner.

    I bet your SiL will be thrilled with that lovely warm hat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chag Chanuka Sameach! It definitely feels different this year <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Chanuka, Sarah. A very happy birthday to Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your thoughtfulness here made me shiver a bit, Sarah. Sending Happy Chanukah wishes and hopes for ease and a little light this weekend. (As soon as the sun poked out today, I hustled to get my sneakers on. It doesn't stick around for long these days, does it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:44 PM

    Sarah, I’ve been reading your blog from afar, at first for all the knitting subjects (and your energy - my goodness!) but lately for your input on the news with the Jewish people. I thank you for your insight and explanations (my upbringing in the 1950’s-on had very little of religion in it) and now today I learn about some ‘light’.
    Happy Chanuka to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart aches for both the Jews and the Palestinians who were just going about their lives when suddenly their lives changed/ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everyone, on both sides, would very much wish for things to go back to the way they were, and my hope is that as the new year arrives, it will bring an end to everyone's suffering.

      Delete
  9. Happy Chanukah to you and your family. We certainly can use more light and kindness in this world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful hat and I bet it was well received. Happy Chanukah to you and your family. I'll be making latkes for us tonight in solidarity!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Chanukah, Sarah. May the light shine down on the world. All my love and best wishes. (And that is such a great hat! I'm sure it will be much appreciated!) XOXO

    ReplyDelete