Pages

Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Unraveled, Week 52/2023

Happy last Wednesday of 2023, friends! It's not an official Unraveled Wednesday, as Kat is taking the week off from her usual link-up, but the perfectionist in me compels me to share one last Unraveled post for 2023 to complete the perfect year of them.

I know that none of you will be surprised by what I'm making -- I'm still plodding along (though faster, now) on my Birch Pullover, and having measured my progress at 8.25 inches last night before bed, I'm now fairly confident that I'll be able to finish the body before the week is over.

The outdoor lighting makes the fade of the skeins more obvious; in normal light, it's not quite as obvious. There's variegation within the skeins themselves, and I'm also alternating skeins every round when I join a new one. I did have a little surprise yesterday when I was knitting outside, though:

The color is rather washed out here, but do you see the purple? I never noticed that in the yarn, and it was a fun surprised when it appeared in the sunlight.

As for my progress, I've managed to figure out how to work the half fisherman's rib rounds without looking except occasionally, so I've been able to work on this while reading, and that's been a huge help. The instructions tell me to knit until the body measures 10 inches from the underarm and then work regular 2x2 rib for another 2 inches. So I've got less than 4 inches of fabric left to knit on the body in total, which seems quite achievable.

Now that we're past Christmas, I will also share the color photo of the minis I spun before we left:



The theme this year was "A Walk through Middle Earth," so each day's colorway had a location and a little story that went with it. I'm not a huge Tolkien fan, but I've read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy (and seen the movies), so things were somewhat familiar to me, and even when they weren't, I still enjoyed how much thought Lisa put into them.

I typically use this vacation to do a lot of reading, and this year has been no exception. I've read two excellent books this past week.

Land of Milk and Honey is a buzzy new release that I was excited to get from the library. This is a book that I can definitely see being one to be divisive. It's set in the near future, when a smog has settled over much of the world and blocked the sun, making it impossible to grow many crops and led to food shortages and starvation. Our narrator, a trained chef, applies for and receives a job at an exclusive, reclusive self-contained "country" in the mountains of Italy where food is miraculously abundant. How this place came to be and how it has such resources is mysterious and even a little sinister, with an overwhelming sense that survival in this new reality is contingent on wealth. A lot of this book gave me an icky feeling (mainly the other characters and how they behaved), but the writing is spectacular, and it's clear that the author knows about food and cooking. I would not recommend this book to everyone, particularly not those of you who don't care for post-apocalyptic stories, but if you're okay with that sort of thing and you want to get immersed in that world, you might like it. I could not put it down. I gave it 5 stars.

I so enjoyed Tommy Orange's voice in There There that when I heard he had a new book coming out, I rushed to read it. This new work is in some ways a continuation of his first novel in that some of the characters reappear and it addresses the aftermath of the dramatic event that concluded it, but you don't have to have read it recently or at all to appreciate it. This book is even more sweeping in its scope of the story of a family and the heartbreaking story of how the white man sought to wipe out the Indigenous peoples, by destroying their identity when they couldn't entirely do it physically. That notion of destroying the native from the inside has reverberations throughout the novel, as all the characters struggle in some way with what it means to be Indigenous and how to connect to their ancestors. How much of one's identity is in one's ancestry? Do you need to be raised within a 
community to still identify as a member of it? The voices in this book are beautiful
and distinctive, with the echoes of the past reverberating in the present. I gave it 4 stars. 

Thank you to Knopf, Pantheon, Vintage, and Anchor and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC in return for an honest review. This book will be published February 27, 2024.

I've got plenty of books to choose from in my Kindle library, but I decided I wanted something light and entertaining for these last few days of 2023, so I'm reading Do Tell right now. I'm nearly halfway through it and expect I'll finish it up in the next couple of days.

I hope you're enjoying this strange in-between time, with good projects and good books to keep you company. I expect I'll be doing some sort of year-end wrap-up on Friday, so see you back here then!

11 comments:

  1. Birch is beautiful and you're making real progress! I had not noticed the fade before and I think the purple bits are kind of charming. I started Land of Milk and Honey but a post-apocalyptic novel where survival is based on wealth just wasn't what I wanted to read. But Wandering Stars is, and I wish someone at NetGalley would approve my request!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful color for your sweater, I love it and your handspun minis are beautiful. I really need to spin more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I knew there was a lot of depth in these skeins when I bought them, but the purple was a complete surprise (and still hides in indoor lighting).

      Delete
  3. oooh those pops of PURPLE! now aren't you curious if there might be other colorful surprises waiting in those skeins? I'm delighted you loved Land of Milk & Honey. For me, the commentary on wealth & privilege was the best part, and for sure, it put me off "gourmet food" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the fade in that sweater is so pretty. I always enjoy knitting in bright sunlight because the yarn often looks a little different. The little pops of purple are just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sweater is lovely, Sarah! I've always been interested in that pattern (I actually have it in my library. . . ), and I love the color(s) you're using. I'd be thrilled by the surprise pop of purple! I read Do Tell earlier this year, and I think it's the perfect book for the end of the year. Not heavy, just fun. XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, that little bit of purple is so fun! I love the Middle Earth minis, I've been a huge Tolkien fan for most of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:33 AM

    Hi there. I am unsure how I found your blog (maybe via Ravelry? Not sure), but as the year wraps up I wanted you to know how much I am enjoying it both for the knitting content but also the little hints and mentions of Pittsburgh that you put in. I'm from Pittsburgh but have recently moved out of the country and oftentimes I find myself homesick and in search of something familiar to remind me of home in the Burgh. Your blog is a little daily anchor back there and it has brought me a lot of joy these last few months that I've been reading. Thanks for the content. Your knitting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoever you are, thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! It means so much to me to know that I'm doing a small part to spread more joy in the world!

      Delete
  8. What a difference that light makes! And I sure love seeing it by a glimpse of the pool :). It sounds like you’re enjoying your time away—and finishing the year with a fun read feels just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birch is really coming along! I really love the magic of hand-dyed yarn! And your handspun... really lovely! I love how you did mini-skeins! I am blocking some time for spinning Hipstrings in January... and you have inspired me to do mini-skeins as well!

    ReplyDelete