Pages

Monday, December 11, 2023

In Which Things Start to Wind Down

Even though there are several weeks left in the month, this week is my last one of work and Mo's last of school for the year. I technically have work for most of next week, too, but I decided to use up some vacation days so I can fully enjoy my time in Florida (I worked while we were there in March, but this time of year is the break I look forward to all year!). There's still a lot to get done this week before we leave, not least of which is packing, but at least the end is in sight.

I'm happy to report that the hat was a bit hit with my sister-in-law, who sent me this photo Saturday morning:

That adorable bear hat my nephew is wearing? Mo made it! It was one of three she made, though only this one had those cute ears. Amazingly, they all fit him perfectly. And even more amazingly, she didn't use a pattern! She's becoming quite the crocheter.

The weekend did involve some frogging. Remember that charity hat I was knitting with the unusual brim construction? I thought the brim looked small because I still had the waste yarn in from the tubular cast on, but on Friday I finished the brim and started the body, so I pulled the waste yarn out and went to try it on -- and it was so tight I'm not sure it would have even gotten on my nephew's head. I don't know if I did something wrong or if there's an issue with the pattern, but there was really no recourse but to rip it out. On Saturday night, while the Mister and I watched Leave the World Behind (which, by the way, is even more unsettling than the book), I started over, this time with a different brim that I was sure would be stretchy enough to fit a human head: I did a provisional cast-on, knit double the length I wanted, folded the fabric in half, and joined the cast-on edge to the live stitches. Much better!

I will do my best to finish this up before we leave, along with my Fibernymph Dye Works fiber minis, which also got some attention over the weekend. I have two and a half minis left to spin onto the second bobbin today, and I'm hoping work will cooperate to allow me to wind off the singles from the first bobbin. I'd hope to have both of these projects complete in the next several days so that I can focus on what I want to take on vacation. I'm likely taking my Birch pullover, which has not been touched since you last saw it. I will need to do some weighing and rewinding of my skeins so that I can blend the body and sleeves similarly, but that shouldn't take too long. I also have some mini skeins to wind so I can knit up the mystery gnome (it's intended for my brother, who will be coming down with his family the day before we leave, so I can knit it while I'm there and give it to him when he arrives). Other than that, I'll have to ponder what else I want to bring.

This afternoon Mo and I are going to get our COVID boosters, now that it's been three months since we were sick, so I'll be mentally preparing myself for feeling crummy for the next day. Today we should also hear whether we've gotten into SSK for next summer; we've both entered the lottery with the hope that we'll both be selected and can attend our first fiber arts retreat together. Keep your fingers crossed for us!

9 comments:

  1. Cute hats! Hopefully you won’t have reaction to the booster. So far I don’t know anyone who had a reaction, even one friend who has been out of it for 48 hours after her other vaccinations 🤞🏼

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hats are wonderful, Sarah -- and both recipients look thrilled (and adorable, too). I love seeing Mo's crocheted projects! When I was her age, I was always crocheting something (and almost never with a pattern). Go, Mo! Tom and I watched Leave the World Behind last night -- and unsettling is right! (That house, though . . . ) Here's to a good and productive week for you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hats are AWESOME! But I am hoping that you and Mo win the lottery for SSK! That would be amazing! (I watched Leave the World Behind as well and yes... unsettled is so right!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crossing my fingers for you and Mo that you get to go to SSK.

    The hats for your SIL and nephew are adorable. Good job to both you and Mo. She did a very good designing job. Hope the shots go well. Steve and I had ours back in Oct along with the regular "old people's" flu shot and had no issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those hats are really wonderful! Your SiL looks great in hers and I'm really impressed that Mo crocheted that adorable hat without a pattern. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for both of you for SSK. I only watched the first episode of LtWB, but found it too unsettling so I quit. I may try again today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much fun stuff here! Huge round of applause to Mo--that hat!! BOTH hats look fantastic on their happy recipients. So glad you shared the photo.
    I just saw the trailer for Leave the World Behind on Saturday and noted that I'll have to watch that when Elsa's on a sleepover...
    What a great call, taking time off from work for this trip--so it can feel like a true vacation!. And fingers crossed for a double lotto win ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both hats are wonderful and look so perfect on the recipients!! Great finishes for Mo and you. Hope your shots go well (we had no reaction whatsoever) and best of luck on the lottery!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hats are great and GO MO with the crocheting! I think I'll save the movie for after the holidays, I don't need anything unsettled right now, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that Mo is quite the crocheter. The photo of your sil and nephew is darling. I hope all the preparations for travel and finishing up at work go well. You will be busy.

    ReplyDelete