Pages

Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Unraveled, Week 51/2023

Can you believe we've reached the penultimate Unraveled Wednesday of 2023? Of course just as I know what number week it is for this year, I'll have to start the count all over again! But whether or not I know the number, linking up with Kat and the Unravelers is always my favorite time of the week.

As I noted on Monday, my primary focus while we're away is going to be my Birch pullover, and I am making some progress! It looks like I've knit about three inches of the body below the underarm, so still a lot to go, but I am nearly ready to start blending in the next ball of yarn.

Please excuse the late-night bathroom lighting.

The knitting is very straightforward now, even if I can't quite do it without looking (I still need to check that I'm knitting into the stitch below on the k1B, p1 rounds).

Yesterday was an exciting day for Mo -- she cast on her sweater! I did have her swatch first, which was a bit of an extra challenge because I had her do a mock in-the-round swatch, but she managed just fine.

After blocking, her gauge was ever so slightly off but in the direction that it will work in her favor (the sweater will end up a little larger, so she'll have some room to grow). The yarn is also a superwash Merino, so I expect we'll be able to adjust it as needed when we block it.

Reading has been a bit of a mixed bag the past week. I've finished three books.

I heard about The Leftover Woman on the What Should I Read Next podcast, and the premise sounded really good: A woman in China is told that her newborn has died, but in fact her husband, disappointed that it was a girl, has secretly taken it away to be adopted by an American couple, and when she discovers this betrayal, she pays smugglers to get her into the United States to find her daughter. While the storyline was as advertised, the book was disappointing. The characters were really flat and they and the story felt completely implausible to me. The writing felt like it was trying too hard -- way more telling than showing, if you know what I mean. I might have DNFed this except that it was short and I wanted to know how it would end (which was, predictably, in an entirely implausible way). It wasn't a total waste of time, but I wouldn't recommend it. I gave it 2 stars.


One of the two paperbacks I brought with me was Four Seasons in Rome, a book I actually bought several years ago and have had sitting on my nightstand ever since. It's a short book, only about 200 pages, so I read more than half of it on the flight down to Florida (with Mo asleep on my arm) and finished it up the next day. Doerr chronicles the year he, his wife, and their newborn twins spent living in Rome while he had a fellowship, and it's both a love letter to the art, culture, and food of Italy and a memoir of the first year of parenthood. It's an easy and enjoyable read, one that made me long to go back to Italy. I've now passed it along to my parents, both of whom I think will enjoy it. I gave it 4 stars.


My latest audiobook was The Candy House, read specifically because Jennifer Egan is the next author up in my local speaker series and I try to read the books before the talks if at all possible. The audio was recorded by a full cast, which I think really enhanced the very wide range of characters in this book, though I did find it hard to keep all the characters and their relationships to each other straight. This is a bit of a strange book in that there is no clear plot line moving through it, and while it's not really interconnected short stories, the sections do focus on different characters at different points of time. I thought the writing was very good (save for the apparent confusion of "titled" versus "entitled," a pet peeve of mine), but I also felt I was not quite smart enough to get the book as a whole. I gave it 3 stars.

I am currently reading Tommy Orange's forthcoming novel, Wandering Stars, which I am very much enjoying even though I haven't gotten very far yet.

What are you making and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. Birch is looking lovely and you are making good progress! And it feels like a rite of passage for Mo to be casting on her first sweater. She is lucky to have such excellent in-house guidance!

    I realized that somehow I missed reading There, There so I started it yesterday and requested Wandering Stars. There, There is quite powerful so far and I'm looking forward to all the characters' stories coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Bonny, I realize I never read There, There...but both you and Kat posting about Tommy Orange's latest has me moving There, There up on my TBR list. Birch does look so nice Sarah (love the yarn color) and YAY for Mo casting on a sweater - that's exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Birch is looking perfect. That is going to be the most AMAZING sweater to slip on in the fall, especially. That color is SO autumnal. I love it. I'm so excited about the new Tommy Orange. I think it might be my birthday gift in February :) Also - Anthony Doerr's writing is so dreamy and that memoir looks amazing. So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Birch is looking good. Mo picked a very pretty yarn for her sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for Mo's cast-on (and swatch ;-)! and your Birch progress. I'm glad all that sunshine hasn't hindered your knitting and reading. Wandering Stars is top of my early 2024 TBR; look forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sweater yarns are both so pretty. Congratulations to Mo on beginning her first sweater. I think my Gram helped me through my first sweater while I was in high school. Although it is long gone, I remember it. It was a red cardigan knit in pieces with Reynolds yarn. She sewed it together for me otherwise I'd never have finished it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater is looking terrific! And Go, Mo on that new sweater! I have the new Tommy Orange as well, I think I will read it next week while I'm on Christmas Vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this end of year sweater togetherness with you and Mo! Your sweater is looking great! I hope you like Wandering Stars as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Birch is looking great! I'm excited to see how Mo's sweater comes out!

    ReplyDelete