Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Nearing Closure

While most of the crafting time over the long weekend was spent at my wheel, I did do some knitting. For starters, I finished a pair of socks!


Pattern: my basic stockinette, worked over 70 stitches
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce (80% superwash merino/20% nylon) in Bahamian, one skein
Needles: US 0/2.0 mm Addi Sock Rockets, magic loop
Started/Completed: May 6/May 27

I tried really hard to get these socks to match, and I nearly succeeded. I started in the same point in the striping sequence and worked the same pattern on the second sock, but something went awry after I picked up for the gusset:


I'm not sure if the discrepancy is due to a difference in my gauge on the second sock or just slight variation in the length of each color in the yarn. Regardless, it's close enough for me -- and it's likely that only the legs of the socks (which do match) will be seen anyway, so I'm calling them a win.

I also spent some quality time over the weekend with my Hitofude, which is getting closer and closer to completion. I finished the specified number of pattern repeats but decided to continue adding length in order to use up more of the yarn; I'd really like to end it with the last color in the gradient.


For the additional pattern repeat, I continued to follow the increase pattern, but I'm not sure that I'll keep that up. I don't mind additional drape in the front, but I also don't want this sweater to overpower me.

For as much good stash-busting as I've been doing, I feel I must own up to a bit of a slip-up in my yarn diet. First, I acquired yarn for the next pattern in my LYS's shawl knitalong, which will be Waiting for Rain. I really did not have anything suitable in my stash that was not laceweight, so I figured this purchase was acceptable. I ended up with two skeins of Baah! La Jolla in Grey Onyx and Obsidian, and I'll be doing the striped version of the shawl (I still have to decide if I want the the lace to be in the lighter color or the darker color).


Then there was this impulse purchase:


You see, I learned at this most recent visit that my LYS will not be getting any more of this amazing yarn, Yarn Hollow Tango, which I'd always intended to make a sweater from in the future. Because I didn't know if I'd be able to get it when I do decide to do that sweater, I picked up five skeins now. I will put them away for the time being, though I have a feeling they'll be coming back out in the fall, once it's closer to sweater weather again.

No comments:

Post a Comment