Pages

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Change in Plans

The thing about life is that no matter how much you plan, the unexpected always happens. Yesterday we found out that my uncle, who had long had major health problems, had passed away. It was not unexpected, but even when you know something like this is coming, you really can't plan for it. The funeral is Sunday morning in Chicago, so my parents and brother and I will be driving there on Saturday and coming back on Monday (it ended up being easier and much cheaper to drive than to try to find flights). It means completely rearranging my plans for the weekend, but it will be worth it to be able to be with our family, who we very rarely see.

If there's a positive aspect of this sad time, it's that all those hours in the car will mean a lot of knitting time. I've decided that this is the perfect excuse to buckle down and work on my Floozy cardigan. I'm now officially past the halfway mark on the length I need for the body (excluding the ribbing at the body, of course), so progress is being made. I'm starting to panic about having enough yarn, though, so I may order a few more skeins just in case. I did order enough (or so I thought) based on the specifications in the pattern, but I think my tighter row gauge is using up more yarn. I'm going to finish up my third skein very soon and have four left, but I still have half the body, both sleeves (which I'd like to make full length), and button bands to do.


My lunchtime knitting is progressing well, and I'm now moving up the leg of my first Zest Wishes sock. It's now officially my busiest time of year at work, so stockinette in the round is the perfect thing for a midday break.


Tomorrow is a day for me. My office is closed for "spring holiday," so I'm planning to head to the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet Festival for at least part of the day. I don't really need to go yarn shopping, but I really wanted to go to meet Marian of Marianated Yarns in person. She was so kind to provide me with yarn support for several designs last year without ever having met me, so I'd like to be able to thank her again. And I'm sure a few skeins will likely follow me home.

I plan to put together a post for Sunday, even though I'll be away, but I'm sure it will be a little sparser than usual. I'm sure you'll understand. I hope you have a good weekend, and give your loved ones an extra hug.

4 comments:

  1. I'm very sorry to hear about your uncle and send my condolences to you and your whole family. Knitting is good for managing sadness and long car rides, so I hope you gets in lots of rows on Floozy (and maybe even some on that sock).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry about your uncle - my sympathies and prayers will be with you and your family. Also - safe travels to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz T.3:04 PM

    Blessings to you and your family during this sad time. Road trips are a good time to re-connect since sadly we don’t normally take the time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for your loss, Sarah - safe travels as you gather with your family. A mixed blessing for sure, but Floozy will appreciate the extra attention.

    ReplyDelete