Pages

Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Pandemic Parenting: It's Not for the Faint of Heart

Like everyone else with young kids, I've found the past month to be challenging. For the first two weeks, Rainbow was on spring break and could do whatever she wanted, but as we were both busy with work, she complained that she was bored and felt ignored because we couldn't hang out with her. Now she's into her third week of virtual school, which gives her a schedule and things to do but has its own challenges, often in the form of technology not working as it should or as we want. Late last week, our governor announced that schools in the state would be closed through the end of the academic year, and that brought sadness over the end-of-year traditions she would miss (her school is divided into three levels -- Lower School is preK-4, Middle School is 5-8, and Upper School is 9-12 -- and the last grade in each level typically has a graduation of sorts).

We've been dealing with the emotions as best we can, but then we got another curve ball thrown at us last night. Rainbow had been complaining about her scalp being itchy for about a week, but it wasn't until last night that I spied something crawling through her hair. You know where this is going right? I feel awful that it took me this long to realize what the issue was, but in my defense, I never had lice as a child and wasn't familiar with what to look for. Also, I didn't think it was possible to get lice if you haven't been around anyone else for a month. I suppose my child is just exceptional in every way! In any case, last night I found myself combing through her hair at about 9 p.m., way past her bedtime, because the thought of waiting until morning to do it gave her the heebie-jeebies. (I can't say I blame her, though!)

So today, in between all the work I have to do for that job I still have, I have many loads of laundry to do and will have to inspect her head again. I expect that will become a daily practice as well for at least the next week. And though dealing with this is a pain, I am extremely thankful that it's relatively minor compared to what it could be -- we are all still healthy, after all.

Knitting and crocheting are continuing, as always. Over the weekend, I ripped back a lot of my progress on Rainbow's crochet blanket because I realized that I was increasing too rapidly and winding up with a ripply edge. I'm not quite back to where I was, but I've been working on it at least 15 minutes a day and it's slowly getting bigger. This is a marathon, not a sprint, right?


I got quite a bit of the Newborn Vertebrae done during the Zoom knitting group that Mary hosted on Sunday and finished the body yesterday -- after knitting about two inches more than I needed to because I did not read the directions very well and was measuring the body from the wrong place. At least it's small!


As you can see, I've already started picking up for the front bands/collar; I decided to start it with the last stitch from the bottom hem to avoid having to weave in two extra ends.

Among my accomplishments from the weekend were my first two finishes for SAH Book Bingo. First, I finished listening to Anne of Green Gables, which had been my running listen, and it was just as good as it always has been. I put it in my "Re-read a childhood/YA favorite" square. I also finished an Amazon First Reads book from a month or two ago called In an Instant. It was just okay, but then I didn't expect it to be anything amazing and I mainly only read it because I needed something to read while waiting for my next library hold to come up. That one did on Sunday, and while I'm only in the second chapter of The Ten Thousand Doors of January, gosh, I am really loving it! I also started listening to Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come while I run. As an extreme shy introvert, it seemed right up my alley and has thus far been interesting to listen to.

I hope the start to your week has been less dramatic than mine! I'd love to hear what you're crafting and reading in the comments.

10 comments:

  1. OH my God I am so so sorry for her! When I was still in primary school, we had a couple of cases, and my mother always told me that if I got them, my hair (which was waist long at that time) would have to be cut.

    I just read on wikipedia that it takes about 4-6 weeks for the lice to hatch if it's the first time that someone gets them, so she must have gotten hers at the last days of school ... Oh no. :( Remember to freeze her stuffed animals, too! And you have probably contacted the pharmacy already, they should have some stuff that works. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that it's over soon!

    I'm sorry that you had to rip out the blanket, but the Vertebrae is looking great!! "Sorry I'm Late" sounds like a cool book, I will have to see if I can find it somewhere in the library. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stuffed animals are going into quarantine and we've already washed her towels and bedding (plus whatever clothes were dirty). I'm going to pop her favorite stuffed animals into the dryer to kill anything that's on them. We did get a couple of lice kits from the pharmacy, so we'll be combing out her hair every day for the next week or so. She's already said today that it feels much better, so here's hoping we got most of the buggers!

      Delete
    2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry! Through this whole thing I've been glad that I wasn't parenting younger children. Not that grown children don't have their own issues, but I feel better equipped to cope with them (on some days)! My boys went to a birthday party and came home with lice when they were about 8 or 10, so I completely sympathize with all the laundry. It might not hurt to check your own hair and your husband's. I'm still knitting on Hitchhikers and hoping the furnace guy is not sick. Our furnace quit working and he's here to fix it, but I get nervous every time he coughs. (I don't think I have enough wipes to wipe down the furnace after he leaves!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gah, Sarah - lice just shouldn't be a THING right now. ugh. ugh. ugh. Pandemic Parenting is most definitely not for the faint of heart. (of course parenting under any circumstances isn't) and I second Bonny's suggestion to check yourself and your husband (and his beard ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, my heart is aching for you all - lice are just no fun, ever. The laundry is indeed so not fun, nor is the combing, washing, watching that takes place for a bit after. I am echoing Bonny's suggestion of checking more heads than Rainbows!

    I am working on two mystery shawls, and happily. (although, I am contemplating starting a hitchhiker!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear - my kids came home from school with lice once and it was a pain. I did laundry for several days, bagged up all the stuffed animals, and cleaned like a madwoman. Not exactly what you need these days. I hope to join you on Zoom one of these weeks. It's an hour earlier for me and this past week we were just sitting down to eat a sort of special Easter meal. Your knitting and crocheting looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word - I'm so sorry about the lice. That's not the curve ball anyone would want right now. One day at a time. Right now it feels like we have to take one SECOND at a time. Get through one second and then move to the next, and repeat. It's exhausting!

    I'm thrilled that you're reading The Ten Thousand Doors of January! I loved it and hope you do too!!!! (See all the exclamation marks??!!)

    Your stitching is lovely. That newborn vertebrae is awesome!

    (I've found myself singing, "Just keep stitching, just keep stitching" in Dory's voice a lot this week. It helps. I think we're all slowly going insane.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My heart goes out to you -- and Rainbow! Erin picked up lice one summer at theater camp. At the time, her hair was waist-length. It took WEEKS and much frustration to get rid of 'em. Hang in there -- and here's my unsolicited advice: be more thorough than you need to be for longer than you need to be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the great titles. (I have yet to set up my BINGO card! I think I'm waiting 'til I think I can actually accomplish something greater in that dept. than what I HAVE been...Can you say POKEY?! AND--oh my gosh! I am so amazed at how calm and gracious you are...I know I wouldn't handle lice as well as you are. I hope you can crank it all out pretty quickly I'm stumped, too, though--who would have thought of lice during quarantine? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete