Pages

Monday, October 25, 2021

Balance in 2021: October

Amazingly, we find ourselves starting the final week of October today. I've always found that time seems to speed up as we get further into the year, though that trend seemed to be suspended last year. This year, though, it's business as usual, and as they reminded us on the Today show this morning, Christmas is two months from today. Chanukah is even sooner, which means I need to do some serious shopping very soon, but either way it's a reminder that 2021 will soon be in the rear-view mirror.

Today is the last Monday of the month, which means it's time to check in on my One Little Word. Many thanks to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up!

Balance has been very present in my mind this month. There have been a lot of demands on my time, and that has meant a lot of juggling and prioritizing. Going to Rhinebeck was wonderful, but taking that time off and being away meant a lot of planning beforehand and a lot of catching up afterwards. In addition, I've had to put a lot of time this month into my synagogue board and committee activities. The latter has been particularly stressful. Many of the people I work with on the board and the committee are retired or don't work, and I think they often forget that I have a full-time job and a child to care for and don't have the time that they do to devote to our activities. One of the reasons I didn't get much reading or crafting done last week was that I had to spend about half a day after I got back getting caught up on business related to the committee. I realize that I volunteered for this position, so in a way I signed up for the extra work, but that doesn't mean it's not stressful when I sign off from work for the day only to still have to deal with another half dozen emails and more Zoom meetings.

I had an interesting discussion with a designer friend, Lisa Ross, when we met up at Rhinebeck. She's been really prolific this year with her patterns, and I expressed my amazement that she was able to get so much work done along with raising her four boys. We were discussing how challenging it can be to balance design work with the rest of our life responsibilities, and she told me that she didn't realize I had a full-time job. While last year I blamed pandemic brain for not getting much published, this year the main challenge has been finding the time. Balancing my design work with my work work has always been an issue, but this year it seems to have gotten worse.

As life in general has gotten more and more busy, I've gotten more and more grateful to be working from home. The ability to do things like throw in a load of laundry whenever it needs to be done has been a huge help, as has gaining a little extra time (including to sleep). I know it won't last forever, but I'm cherishing it while it lasts. My other coping mechanism has been to-do lists. For a while I was doing them daily, but now it seems to be more realistic to do a weekly list. Early in the week, I make a physical list of things I need to get done over the course of the week, and I add to it as needed. It's less stressful to have a longer time period to get it done, and I don't feel like a failure if a day goes by and I haven't crossed something off the list.

Here's hoping November brings more balance and less stress!

9 comments:

  1. I think months like this show you exactly how far you have come with your word. I don't know if you can feel it, but I can see it clearly reading your post... well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an outside observer, I think you do a very good job of balancing all the things you do, but I also realize that you are most likely the one paying the price (in sleep, guilt, things you would like to do taking a back seat, etc.) You can do it all, just not at the same time, and I hope November brings you less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This has been a very good word for you and from this side of the page, you balance well. These years of raising a child and working won’t last forever and you will be happy you worked so hard at finding balance. Your daughter has a wonderful role model too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance is tricky. I think just identifying where you need it is a huge step towards achieving it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I think it takes a long view. Sort of like what you figured out with your listmaking--that a week is a more practical, feasible scope than a day. (I'm right there with you! A day?! Good Lord.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love weekly to-do lists! The brain dump is so helpful and I can just tick things off as I can get them done, regardless of the day of the week.

    Working from home challenges work/life balance for so many people. It's so hard to draw those lines and 2021 has been especially stressful given how CRAZY the world continues to be. I think you manage to do an amazing variety of activities, but also know that there's always more that we want to get to. May 2022 be the year that we all find ways to be gentle with ourselves! 💚

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I look back on my days at your age-and-stage of life, I don't know how I managed to keep all the plates spinning. (Sometimes I certainly didn't.) Your post today brings it all right back -- I don't know how you manage to do all you do . . . and with such grace and skill, too. But you do! You are doing a fabulous job. Balance is elusive; keep working to find the best ways to keep your plates spinning, Sarah. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Kym. I recall those days of full time teaching, raising two children, and making a little time for making and writing. Some Sundays I was pretty exhausted. You seem to find the balance with grace. I am glad you are able to work from home for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto the comments of others who are past your stage of life ... it's hard and crazy (and worth it) and you're doing a great job. Balance continues to be a challenge for me even now! I've also moved to a weekly to-do list - sometimes with a Three Things for Today focus - and it helps. except for most Mondays when nothing gets checked off!

    ReplyDelete