Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Unraveled, Week 41/2021

Wednesday already? I guess a short work week makes it go by quickly! Time for my weekly link-up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk knitting and reading.

After I finished my sister-in-law's socks, I wanted a bit of a palate cleanser before I started the next pair (the ones for my mother-in-law), so I pulled out some scraps in autumnal colors and knit up another marled charity hat. This one used two colors of Malabrigo Sock, two colors of Knit Picks Stroll, some Twist Fiber Studio yarn leftover from my Wonder Woman Wrap, and some Knitologie sock yarn that was leftover from the two patterns I designed for KnitCrate. I started with the darkest colors and moved into the lightest as I got nearer to the crown.

I didn't use a pattern for this, really. I cast on 120 stitches, worked two inches of 2x2 ribbing, and then did stockinette for the rest. When it felt tall enough, I divided the stitches in half and grafted them, and then I folded the corners down flat to the center and tacked them in place. In all, I used 447 yards, which is a good amount out of the giant bag 'o scraps.

Reading has been extremely good this week. I've finished four books and rated them all highly.

The Guncle -- funny name, great book! The Guncle (gay uncle) in question, is Patrick, a semi-retired actor who was in a very popular sitcom a number of years ago who hasn't fully processed his grief over the loss of his partner in a car accident several years ago when he learns that his sister-in-law -- and best friend -- has died, his brother is addicted to pain pills and needs to do a stint in rehab, and his brother has decided that while he's away his kids will live with Patrick in Palm Springs. There is other family drama to deal with as Patrick and his niblings try to negotiate their new situation and address their grief. There are funny moments, infuriating moments, and extremely touching moments. I could not put it down and recommend it to everyone -- 5 stars!

If The Guncle was my fun reading, then The Sum of Us was my serious reading. I'd been wanting to read this book since it came out and had a hard copy on loan from my brother. It took me about a week to get through not because it's that long (it's less than 300 pages) or that hard to make sense of but because I was taking it slowly so that I could fully appreciate it. This book looks at just how pervasive systemic racism is -- in criminal justice, personal wealth, health, housing,  politics, etc. -- and how efforts to address it have been thwarted by those who wrongly believe that "more for you = less for me." Her writing is clear and easy to understand, backed up by solid research, and includes examples from real people -- in many cases white people -- who are hurt by policies that perpetuate systemic racism. Her message is simple: providing more resources for those who have the least benefits all of us. If you're committed to anti-racism, I'd say this is a must read. I gave it 5 stars.


I can't remember exactly where I first heard about the memoir Somebody's Daughter, but I had put it on hold at the library when I did and read it in less than two days when I got it. In her memoir, Ashley Ford reflects on her life growing up with an incarcerated father and a mother who was demanding, often distant, and frequently emotionally and physically abusive. It's an often difficult read -- Ford struggles with crippling anxiety and an overwhelming desire to be loved and accepted for who she is -- but it's a very powerful one. I gave it 4 stars.

I had had The River on hold for longer than I expected at the library given that it's an extremely propulsive and relatively short (~250 pages) book -- what was taking the people ahead of me so long? I basically read it in a day (I started it Sunday night but only got through about 10 pages before bed, and then I stayed up a little late to finish it on Monday night). This book takes place over the course of several days and follows two young men, Jack and Wynn, who are on a canoe trip in Canada when they spy a massive forest fire heading their way. In addition to contending with nature, they're also pulled into a strange and potentially lethal domestic situation. While most of the details about camping and canoeing and fishing were lost on me, I loved and cared about the characters and had to find out how it would end. No spoilers from me other than to say that I did shed some tears. I gave it 4 stars.

Currently I'm reading Klara and the Sun -- yes, I know I'm probably the last person to read it, but I was busy with other things when it was easily available from the library and once I was ready to get to it, there was a long wait! I don't expect to get much reading done while I'm away this weekend, but I plan to dig into the newest Gamache when I get back. How about you -- what are you working on and reading this week?

7 comments:

  1. Someone will be very pleased to receive that hat with the novel crown treatment! You read some good books and have a good one lined up when you get back. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on Klara!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That hat is too cute! And I am adding the Guncle to my read soon list! What a wonderful review!

    (oh... and I got in on the 2021 Base12 preorder!! WOOOO!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great looking hat! And thanks for the book reviews, I added The Sum of Us to my list. I read The River a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh I was hoping I wouldn't have to ask you for the hat recipe - but I'm curious what size needle you use for doubled fingering - a 6? a 5? I would love to use up some of my scraps with a few hats! and woot! for such a great week of reading - I'm looking forward to The Guncle but it's still a multi-month library wait. Also, I'm hearing good things about Heller's The Guide, a sort-of sequel to The River where Jack plays a lead role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So is that hat knit with two strands held together? Using up scraps is so satisfying. I appreciate your book reviews. I'm adding The Sum of Us to my list. I had seen referred to in other blogs or websites but skipped right by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great hat, Sarah -- and it sounds like some great reading, too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous hat! And I love that look back to your Wonder Woman Wrap.

    ReplyDelete