Pages

Monday, October 11, 2021

That's More Like It

Ah, now that was the weekend I needed! It was a busy one with a lot of activity crammed into it, but I got everything done that I wanted to -- and no one was sick in bed!

The weekend kicked off slightly strangely in that we did not have our usual Friday night dinner at my parents'; they are in Florida for the month, so we're left to fend for ourselves for the next several weeks. I did, however, finish my sister-in-law's socks:


They are perfectly matched (I know the green on the toes looks a little off, but I think that's just because they weren't arranged precisely the same on the sock blockers). Despite the extra yarn I wound off, I had plenty of yarn to finish -- it's very helpful to be knitting for someone with small feet! I more or less used my typical stockinette recipe, worked over 68 stitches on size 0/2.0 mm needles. I still need to wash and block these (if you look closely, you might see my magic loop ridges), but it feels good to have a holiday gift done in October.

The next socks on the needles will probably be for my mother-in-law, with this yarn that arrived about a week or so:


Yes, we all know that I don't need more sock yarn, but I couldn't resist signing up for the Fibernymph Dye Works Encore club. I'd previously been in three of Lisa's clubs -- Happy Hour, Tea for Two, and Just Desserts -- and this club promised one more colorway for each of the three themes. I justified the purchase by deciding that I'd likely use the shipments as gifts for others, so they won't really be going into the stash. This shipment falls under the Just Desserts theme, and the colorway is called Apple Turnovers (and came with the recipe for them). This colorway looks like an apple orchard to me, and I think it'll be perfect for my mother-in-law, who wears a lot of reds and browns.

I mentioned on Friday that we were planning on going to a local fiber event here on Saturday. And we did, and was ... weird. We didn't get there until mid-afternoon, so I don't know if it was as empty as it was at the beginning of the event, but there were very few people there other than the vendors when we got there, and we overheard one of the organizers talking to a vendor who was saying that sales were lower than in the past. I felt bad about that and would have liked to have bought from every vendor to support them, but I am trying to be strong in my resolve not to add to my stash needlessly, so I kept my purchases to just two items: a project bag for Rainbow and this braid of fiber for me:

 


This is a new and unusual blend from HipStrings, a blend of Southdown and Dorset Horn wools and bio-nylon, an ecologically created nylon that creates no waste and is biodegradable. I've been wanting to try this blend for sock yarn for a while, so I figured this event was a good excuse to pick some up. It won't be going on the wheel just yet, though, because I am still working on my combo spin. Bobbin number two is under way:


I haven't given this spin a ton of attention in the past week or so because I've been trying to focus on finishing up the socks and getting my Shifty to move forward before the trip (I want to split for the body and the sleeves before I leave), but it's moving along. I'm hoping I can at least finish the singles, if not the plying, by the end of the month.

Rainbow is home with me today due to a teacher in-service day, so I need to go see if she's awake yet. I hope you had a good weekend and are feeling like the new week is off to a good start!

11 comments:

  1. Those socks are so pretty. I bought some Fibernyphm yarn - the colors are just beautiful. Hope the upcoming week brings lots of balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got lots of lovely fall colors on your blog today! Those socks are very pretty and I also like the orchard yarn. I'll be interested to see how it looks as socks and also how the bio-nylon fiber spins. Hope you have a good pre-Rhinebeck week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's still the weekend for me! I love that braid you bought and the socks are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's to long weekends, finishing holiday gifts in October, new yarn AND new fiber! Have a great week, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now those are awesome socks! I am a sucker for stripes, and those are happiness for feet! Your spinning is stunning, so tidy and even. If I ever sit myself down long enough at my wheel, I hope my spinning becomes as nice as yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Colorful sock stripes also make me very happy.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry I missed Indie Knit and Spin... but I am not surprised at low spending. I heard much the same on our trip to Michigan - we did manage to visit a couple of vendors we enjoy and they were so thankful for our visit (and that we bought something) they shared that spending was way down.

    I have been eyeing that new wool blend from Hipstrings as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your striping socks -- and the new yarn for your mother-in-law's socks looks intriguing. I went to the Michigan Fiber Festival last August, and it was . . . strange. Because of social distancing requirements, all the vendor booths were set up very far apart from each other, and there were restrictions on the number of shoppers per booth. I was happy for the requirements, but it was . . . unnerving. It looked so warehouse-y and not so inviting -- much less of the "mob-mentality" usually on display at fiber festivals. Although I didn't ask, I imagine that attendance and sales were down. . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely finish on your socks and love the yarn you have for your MIL socks - it does look like an apple orchard. When Dee and I sent to the NJ Fiber Festival we thought attendance was way down. That was ok with me - I didn't want a mob scene, but I did feel badly for the vendors. Maybe next year will be different?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know what you mean about wanting to support *all* the vendors...I feel the same way (wherever I go!) lately. I'm sure just seeing people in attendance was deeply appreciated...it's such a strange year for 'giving it a go' for so many events.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do feel like the small businesses need all the support we can give them. The fiber looks very pretty and so does the sock yarn.

    ReplyDelete