Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Unraveled, Week 43/2021

It's Wednesday again, so time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers and talk about what I've been knitting and what I've been reading.

I've put my Shifty aside for a few days in favor of some smaller projects. First, I started a new design sample, one I've had bouncing around in my head since I bought that mini skein set at Indie Untangled. It doesn't look like much just yet, but I have a feeling that now that I've figured out a few things, it will move much faster.


These aren't colors I'd normally pick, but the set just screamed at me to buy it, and naturally I had to find a way to use them together. It's hard to see in the photo (we're on day 5, I think, of gloom here, so the light is pretty terrible), but there's some 1x1 ribbing leading into brioche stitch here. This will be a cowl when it's done.

I also started a pair of socks for my brother on Sunday morning while Rainbow and I were in our family Hebrew class, and that meant I was winding yarn at some time after 10 p.m. on Saturday, while the Mister was passed out with the lights on (he can fall asleep anywhere, anytime, including in a fully lit room, with me typing on the computer and then winding yarn across the hall).


The yarn is a precious skein, the one and only skein I ever bought from Marigoldjen. I met Jenny at SSK in 2017, though she was there as an attendee (with her daughter, Liz, who you might know better as the fiber artist behind Hobbledehoy) rather than as a vendor. Both women have since closed their businesses. I bought this skein at MDSW several years ago, and I think it may have been Jenny's last time vending there. The colorway is called Sherlock, but it reminds me of the aurora borealis in the night sky.

I have finished only one book in the past week, and it was a good one, or at least I thought so.

The Push had been on my radar for a few months after hearing it mentioned on one of the book podcasts I listen to. It was mentioned again in an episode last week that I listened to on my walk, and when I got back, I looked it up in Libby and saw that it was available, so I borrowed it on the spot. This is a book I'd describe as a psychological thriller, a bit creepy but not especially scary. The main character, whose mother and grandmother were both difficult mothers (to put it mildly), is eager to become a mother herself, but when her daughter is born, she struggles to connect with her, and as the child grows up, the narrator can't help but feel that there's something sinister behind her child's action. When her son is born, she finally feels that maternal instinct, but the new child in the family creates a new complication in her already troubled relationship with her daughter. This book reminded me a lot of those early days of motherhood, when you're sore and exhausted and questioning every decision. But it takes those feelings to the extreme. It's not a book for everyone (definitely NOT new parents), and it does include the death of a young child, so bear that in mind. I enjoyed it and could have easily read it in one sitting if I'd had the time. I gave it 4 stars.

I am currently reading The Sweetness of Water, which I hope to finish shortly after posting this, and The Madness of Crowds, which I'm savoring a chapter or two at a time before bed.

What are you working on and reading this week?

9 comments:

  1. That set of minis is interesting. They aren't colors that I might be creative enough to put together, but I'm looking forward to seeing the cowl as you progress. And I love the Sherlock socks! I'm glad you told us that the dyer has closed her business; you saved me the trouble of rushing to her website to try and purchase some for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have two sets of minis so I will be excited to see how you use them. I am making good progress on a sweater for my grandson and trying not to start anything new - just yet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those mini skein colors--and I loved The Push! I've enjoyed a handful of lit. psych. thrillers this season...I think they're just the right amount of suspense for me without actually being anything remotely *scary*, in the traditional sense of the word. And they're also fast reads, for me. (Which make for nice 'in-betweeners.')
    This week, I'm stitching the ears onto E's bunny hood, choosing a macrame plant hanger tutorial, and I've wrapped up one Maggie O'Farrell on audio, just to begin another!
    And...oh, my...it sounds like our Misters are cut from the same cloth! It never ceases to amaze me, that ability to fall sound asleep. (Lucky them, in a way!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be a lovely cowl. Perhaps in the new year (when things are calmer??) I will try to learn brioche. I hear so much about it... The Sweetness of Water is a book that came in for me just before vacation, so I declined to pick it up at the library. I'm glad you mentioned it - I will need to request it again. Are you enjoying it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those mini's are very intriguing! I can't wait to see how they play in your cowl! Steve is much the same on the sleep front, and is expert at denying that he was asleep at all! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. That set of mini skeins is striking. My husband can also sleep under most circumstances. I need to make sure the new Louise Penny book is on my holds list. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m so interested In following the progress of that hat! And I don’t think I commented when you last shared your Shifty pictures, but I love how it’s coming together. I have put in a few rows on mine this week and am looking for to settling in on the couch with it tonight.

    Enjoy your Gamache novel!! So glad you’re savoring it - I really enjoyed reading this last one nice and slowly😃

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to seeing how your new design emerges! I really like those colors together. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the colours of this mini set, honestly. It's beautiful. The socks for your brother look great, too! (Can I as a bit of a dumb question please? Do you sometimes wave a little to knit up your precious sock yarns for others, especially special skeins like this one? Because I do, and this is one of the reasons why I buy more and more sock yarn.)

    ReplyDelete