Pages

Monday, April 24, 2023

Embrace in 2023: April

I can hardly believe that it's already the last week of April. It's been a very busy month, and it's absolutely flown by. Of course, the constant ups and downs in the weather (and the subsequent changing back and forth between heating and air conditioning) aren't helping with the sense of confusion of what time of year it is. But it is indeed the last Monday of the month, which means it's time to check in on my One Little Word. Thanks, as always, to Carolyn for hosting our monthly link-up!

If you haven't figured it out by now, I am the type of person who greatly values and relies on predictability and routine. I like to plan things ahead of time and to know what to expect. But that hasn't always been possible this month. Things have changed at the last minute, things have been rescheduled, and I've had to make last-minute adjustments more than once. So this month I've really had to embrace flexibility. I've had to adjust my plans on the fly, move things around, and try not to get frustrated when I can't do something or have to put it off until later. In the past, this would have caused me a lot of anxiety, but I guess I'm getting better at accepting this as the new normal because I've been okay with it. I don't necessarily like it, but I am dealing with it without too much trouble. I guess I'm proof that an old (well, middle-aged) dog can learn some new tricks and we are all a work in progress.



On an unrelated note, today is the start of the trial of the Tree of Life shooter (many news outlets are calling him the "accused shooter," but we all know that he did it). It's going to be a hard time for the families of the victims and the community, so if you can, please send some good thoughts our way.

9 comments:

  1. I think that learning to adapt to change is one of the hardest things to learn... and accept. Bravo to you for identifying this ... embracing flexibility is such a good way to think about it! Thank you for that phrase!

    I listened with tears to the NPR reporting this morning on the beginning of the trial. It was a good reminder for me as to how "reality" and a court trial are not even on the same planet. I will be holding all those affected close in my thoughts (and prayers).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I heard yesterday about the trial beginning and thought of you and others. The Synagog is in or close to the Squirrel Hill area, correct? Sending healing thoughts and prayers to all in the Pittsburgh area.

    Learning to be flexible is a tough lesson (at least it has been for me) - bravo to you for taking it a bit better these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for embracing flexibility! In my younger days, I used to rail against things that disrupted my sense of how things should be, and it's taken a conscious effort to realize how much I'm not in control. Sometimes things are even better when they don't go according to plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah, I thought of you and the Pittsburgh community as soon as I heard about the start of the trial this morning. I am holding thoughts both strong and tender.
    And your post this month makes me think Embrace was a natural 'offshoot' of last year's Growth!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought about you today when I heard the news story about the trial on NPR and I'm sending peaceful, healing thoughts to all who have been impacted by this. Embrace has really been showing up for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good thoughts being sent to the Pittsburgh community. May he be held accountable for his actions. I know the news media HAS to say alleged or accused for legal reasons, but it always grates on my nerves when there is NO question of guilt. May the trial go well and quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to send hold your community in my thoughts. Well done embracing flexibility with grace. It can be a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm holding you and your community in my heart, Sarah. XO
    I have discovered that the older I get, the more flexible I become. One of the benefits of being around for a while, I suppose . . . is the understanding that all we can really do is just embrace life as it unfolds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you've been going with the flow lately, Sarah. Good for you! It's not an easy thing to do when we're so used to our own routines and expectations. I know it's hard for me when I think I'm going to spend time on something (like reading or stitching) but everyone else seems to have other plans! So I like to measure my days in laughter vs growls. If I laugh more than I growl (which happens more than I care to admit), then it's a success!

    ReplyDelete