Pages

Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Unraveled, Week 17/2023

Goodness, this week is rushing by! It's been a busy one and doesn't show any sign of slowing down, so I'm going to try to get this post up as fast as possible. It's Wednesday, which means that it's time for my weekly link-up with Kat and the Unravelers.

I've continued my finishing spree this week and completed my oldest lingering WIP, a pair of ankle socks that I'd started back in January. I'm delighted with how they turned out and have been encouraged to publish the pattern, so it looks like that's what I'll be doing next in my design time.


Finishing these meant only one WIP left on the needles (my Birch Pullover), and I don't function well with just one project, so I had to start something new. I was planning to start another sweater, but I also needed something smaller that would move a little faster, so I started -- and finished -- a quick project.


Pattern:
Side Hustle Cuffs by Shana Cohen, size medium
Yarn: Fibernymph Dye Works Confetti Tweed DK in Bright Ocean (blue) and Electric Purple, 113 yds. total
Needles: US 5 (3.75 mm)
Started/Completed: April 22/April 24

As you can see from the photo, I got creative with the pattern on the second mitt (on the right) and did some extra rows in the contrast color. These were a fast, easy, and fun knit, and I can definitely see myself making some more -- particularly as Rainbow immediately stole these, despite the fact that she probably needs the smaller size!

I cast on two additional projects on Monday after finishing these, one a pair of socks for my sister-in-law for her first Mother's Day (no photo yet because I haven't even finished the cuff) and the other that second sweater. The sweater in question is Shoulder Season, another Shana Cohen pattern. Appropriately, it starts with the shoulders:

The pattern calls for knitting the shoulders in a contrasting color, but I'm doing mine in the same yarn I'm using for the rest of it -- Stranded Dyeworks merino/nylon in the SSK-themed colorway Four Two Two Four. I have three skeins of it but should only need two for this sweater, in theory.

Because work has been busy, my reading time has been diminished, so I've only finished two books in the past week. They were both good reads, though.

Birnam Wood just came out last month and I was on a long library hold list, so I was quite surprised when I got a notification from Libby that it was ready for me. I've heard this book described as an eco-thriller, whatever that is, and I'd say it's hard to categorize. The plot involves a group that plants crops in public places, sometimes illegally, to sell and distribute; a recently knighted pest control services business owner who has been recognized for conservation efforts and who owns a farm near the site of a recent landslide in a national park; and a billionaire technology businessman who wants to buy the farm, allegedly to install a survivalist bunker on the land. I know that sounds very weird, and it is. I'd say this book is about 375 pages of (very well-written) character study and about 50 pages of heart-pounding action. This is not a book that will appeal to everyone (Vera, definitely not you!), and even though I found it to be very unsettling -- which I think is kind of the point -- I gave it 4 stars.

Mary mentioned to me last week that she'd found all or nearly all of Ann Patchett's books were available on Hoopla, which was great news because I've been wanting to read more of her backlist -- particularly as I'm hoping to visit her bookstore when I'm in Nashville this summer. One title I've wanted to read for a long time is Truth & Beauty, her memoir about her friendship with fellow writer Lucy Grealy. A bonus is that the audiobook is read by the author! I really enjoyed this one and plan to listen to Grealy's memoir (which is also available on Hoopla!) when I'm ready for my next audiobook. I gave this one 4 stars as well.


I'm currently actively reading Stone Blind, which is fun and fast and would be going a lot faster if I wasn't reading primarily before bed, when lately I've had trouble keeping my eyes open. I was excited to see the announcement of the Women's Prize for Fiction shortlist this morning. I have already read the two longest titles on the list and have copies of two others, and this morning I ordered Pod from Blackwell's and purchased a Kindle copy of Fire Rush so I can read all the titles that made the cut. I still plan to read Wandering Souls as well, even though it did not make it to the shortlist.

What are you making and reading this week? Are you reading for the Women's Prize and do you have any thoughts about the titles that made the cut?

8 comments:

  1. Shoulder Season looks like an interesting knit. The color you've chosen is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shortie socks are so darn cute!! Are they knit toe up? (which I have never mastered...) I sort of figured that Birnam Wood was not for me - LOL I've been thinking of Stone Blind, but am in queue already for about 6 boooks, so I may wait on that. Jealous that you are going to Nashville and will be going to Patchett's book store! Will you also be paying a visit to MDK headquarters???

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yarn you're using for your shoulder season!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are lovely socks that should get a lot of wear, and the same is true for those cuffs (especially since they've been stolen already). Your Shoulder Season yarn vaguely reminds me of robin's eggs and is very pretty. I was a bit surprised at the books that made the Shortlist. I've read two, could not get into Demon Copperhead, and would love to get my hands on a copy of Black Butterflies. Maybe I'll get to read it before June!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your shortie socks look so practical for the warmer weather. I like the heel tab/pull. I look forward to seeing the sweater come together. I love the yarn. Truth and Beauty is a fascinating story. It's hard to go wrong with Ann Patchett.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks look so cool! And the mitts look like a lot of fun too. They make me think of going rollerskating.

    I'm on the waitlist for Birnam Wood -- I cannot wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those socks are just perfect, Sarah! I love the cuff detail! I am on the Birnam Wood waitlist as well... your review makes me eager to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super socks and they look so unusual.

    ReplyDelete