Pages

Sunday, August 08, 2021

I Couldn't Have Done Better

I did indeed finish up a skein of handspun this week, and it turned out pretty much perfect -- it's consistent, it's well balanced, it has a lot of yardage, and I had maybe six inches of singles remaining when I finished plying.


This was June's Southern Cross Fibre club shipment, the colorway Ice Cave on Bond. I did a traditional three ply, and when the first bobbin ran out, I made a plying bracelet with the singles on one of the two remaining to use up as much as I could of what was left. When it was done, washed, and dry, I found myself with a skein of approximately 430 yards!

I finished just in time, too, because July's shipment -- Turtle on Polwarth -- showed up late last week, too. It's a stunner as well:


I will not be doing anything other than fondling it for a while yet, though, because I still have one more contrast skein left to spin for my handspun Shifty. I finished the first bobbin of singles last night, so two more to go! I'm hoping that work is a little more cooperative this week in giving me time to spin.

The stash move is still underway, though all the yarn and fiber is now out of what was the stash room and in two temporary locations. The house will be a bit of a mess until we can move some furniture and free up space to put the stash. I've started looking through all my handspun and getting an idea of what I'm ready to part with. Here's a little preview:


I think the easiest thing for me to do is to post the skeins, one at a time, on my second Instagram account, which has long been dormant (I started it when I first opened my Etsy shop a long time ago). I'm giving you all the first dibs, so to speak, on what you see here, so if something is calling to you and you don't want to wait, let me know and I'll share some details!

7 comments:

  1. Ice Cave is lovely and I will be looking forward to seeing Shifty when you're ready to cast on. And those handspun skeins in the last photo are all beautiful. I'd love to hear details about that blue-green skein on the top left. (I'm not sure how you can part with that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've made great progress all the way around! I'm looking forward to seeing your Shifty unfold. It'll be even more exciting (to knit -- and to watch from the sidelines) given your lovely handspun. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. More beautiful yarn. I followed your other IG account so I can see your yarn go up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto what Juliann said! I'm in it for sock yarn ... will you be parting with any of that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness - I love hearing you say that you spun up something perfectly!! You're brave to part with your handspun! But it looks like it's all going to go to loving homes!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful colors everywhere!! Your handspun is gorgeous Sarah. Is any of it fingering weight?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That Ice Cave skein is perfection. Your spinning is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete