Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Unraveled, Week 34/2021

It is the last full week of August (how did that happen already?) and feels like the last week of summer because at this time next week, Rainbow will be back at school. It's going to be a busy day for me, but it's Wednesday, and that means it's time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk about crafting and reading.

I'm still working on the charity hat, and I've also added a bit to my sister-in-law's socks (well, the first sock, anyway). I have about an inch more to knit before I start the toe -- I'm very grateful that my big-footed brother married a woman with tiny feet!

Reading has been very good this past week. I am getting very close to completing a second bingo card, and I am determined to try my hardest to get that second cover-all by the end of Labor Day weekend. Since this time last week, I've finished five books!

I listened to the audiobook of The Final Revival of Opal & Nev, a very buzzy recent release that's been on a lot of summer book lists this year. Even though I generally prefer to read with my eyes, this is one that I really wanted to listen to and really enjoyed in an audio format. (The primary narrator is Bahni Turpin, who I know some of you love.) The book reads like a nonfiction documentary about a 1970s band and a violent, racist incident that broke it apart. It was compelling and well written, and I definitely recommend it. I gave it 4 stars.

Bingo square: Audiobook with multiple narrators

Plenty was an Amazon First Reads selection for August; the book actually doesn't come out until September 1 (and if you're interested, there's currently a Goodreads giveaway for it). Given my experience with previous selections, I went in with low expectations, but I was very pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this memoir. The author is a freelance food writer, but she's also someone who is in recovery from an eating disorder and thus has a complicated relationship with food. This book gave me Ruth Reichl Save Me the Plums vibes, and I enjoyed it so much that I even bought Howard's first memoir when I got an email from Amazon with a deal on it. I gave this one 4 stars.

Bingo square: About food

I'd had The Illness Lesson on my TBR list since hearing about it (a couple of times!) on the Novel Pairings podcast, and I got really lucky last month when I found a copy of it in the Little Free Library in our neighborhood. I got even more excited to read it when I looked at the author's bio and realized she's local! This book has pretty mixed reviews on Goodreads, and I can understand why. I think it's one that really would benefit from discussion or study, because there's a lot about this book that's just not written on the page but that you have to intuit. I enjoyed it but feel like I might have to reread it to get more out of it, and I'd love to talk about it with someone else! I gave it 4 stars.

Bingo square: That you want to read because of the cover

I listened to the audio of Saturday mainly at Kat's recommendation and because it filled a square on my card. This is the third novel by Ian McEwan that I have read and not my favorite, although I will say I liked how this one ended a lot more than Atonement! I found it to be pushing my suspension of disbelief just a bit that all of the drama in this book could have happened over the course of one day -- not that it's impossible, just highly unlikely. But the narration was good and kept me company on three walks and while cleaning the bathrooms, so that's saying something. I gave it 3 stars.

Bingo square: Month or day of the week in the title

 
I finally caught up on the Inspector Gamache series on the day that the 17th book was released (that would be yesterday). All the Devils Are Here, like pretty much any Gamache book for me, was pure pleasure reading. I enjoy seeing where the mystery will take me -- and more often than not being surprised by the ending -- as well as the humorous and touching moments. Reading one set in Paris was also a delightful change of scenery and was even more enjoyable because I've been brushing up on my French via Duolingo this summer. I gave it 4 stars.

Bingo square: Any book (free square)


I have four squares left to fill to get my second cover-all, and I'm pretty sure I have books to cover all of them, two of them hard copies in my possession. On Monday I started All Who Go Do Not Return, which I've had on my TBR list for several years, and yesterday I started The Summer Book -- I know several of you have read it, and I expect that it'll be a quick read. I may get a couple of large-ish projects for work this week, but there are 13 days left in Summer Book Bingo, and I plan to use them all if I have to in order to finish these last four books!

10 comments:

  1. That sock looks like fall to me, and I'm hoping cooler fall weather arrives soon. I was thinking that next Monday was Labor Day, but with 13 days left in Book Bingo, I think you've got plenty of time for your second (wow!) cover-all. I'm going to check my library for The Illness Lesson. I'm having trouble finding my next read, and this one sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a fantastic array of books! (Are you goign to start a third Bingo Card once this is over or is there something for autumn as well?)

    The sock looks so good. I do have Opal and Regia sock yarn of course, but there is something about simple stripes without additional patterning that looks fantastic. (And if your SiL has small feet, the rest can go into a hat, which makes it even better!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sock is so pretty (and there is something to be said for small feet...which no one in my family has!!). You've had an amazing summer of reading Sarah!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sock! The colors are perfect for the fall :)

    What an excellent week of reading - go Sarah! So glad you're all caught up on the Armand Gamache series - this one was in PARIS. I'm a sucker for Paris.

    And to save your inbox from an extra email from me - I was so happy to hear that your office is allowing you to work from home for a while longer. What a relief!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    Great post. I really like your blog, it's interesting and inspiring! I will be happy to come to read more entries :)
    I wish you all the best!
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those socks do look like fall to me as well! (I am really jonesing for some autumnal weather!!) I am amazed at your reading! Wow! (And I agree that Saturday was a reach on believability!) I just finished Atonement... yeah, that ending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a lovely sock! Is there a ribbing on the foot?

    ReplyDelete
  8. !!!Louise Penny!!! I think All the Devils Are Here is my favorite of the series so far and The Madness of Crowds arrived in today's mail. It's gorgeous. and I'm saving it (well, trying to anyway) for next weekend. Go YOU on the 2nd card!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sock is so pretty and it does look like autumn. What a great reading week you've had. Louise Penny amazes me. How does she keep writing a series that doesn't lose its pizazz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh, it'd be fun to have a live chat with you and Kat about Saturday. So--I think I liked it a little more than you did, but I also don't put too much believability pressure on novels, because if I did, I think I'd have a problem with so many books... I also think this one was just a nice change for me, at this point in my summer reading...something different, a totally different voice, gender, just about everything. I found the neurosurgery details very interesting. However, and this is kind of a fun book club topic--I often have to roll my eyes when I read men writing about sex, sexuality, etc. A few times I really just wanted to ask, Really?! Because Huh. (Maybe that's where believability gets me! There were some moments :)

    ReplyDelete