Pages

Wednesday, August 04, 2021

Unraveled, Week 31/2021

Wednesday again, already? Apparently so! Time to link up with Kat and the Unravelers to talk what I'm making and reading.

After I finished up that scrappy charity hat, I cast on for Flax Light as a baby gift. Some friends of ours just welcomed a baby girl, and I thought this OOAK skein of Fibernymph Dye Works Bounce would make for a cheerful baby sweater. I've only just started the raglan increases, but I think it should go pretty quickly.

Reading has been a little slower this past week, and I know for certain that's because while I was so focused on finishing my wrap last week, I was watching TV and video podcasts instead of reading. But that's okay! I finished two books.

I had been looking forward to reading The Whispering House since I heard it mentioned on the What Should I Read Next podcast before it even came out in the U.S. and had it on hold at the library for a while. It sounded really good: A young woman still grieving the apparent suicide of her older sister is drawn to a mysterious old house where she sees a painting of a woman who bears an uncanny resemblance to that sister and sets her on a path to find out what really happened. It promised to be a thrilling Gothic mystery -- but sadly I found it to be not so thrilling and not much of a mystery either. Maybe it was just because I figured everything out and saw where it was going early on, but I didn't really care for it and gave it 2 stars.
Bingo square: Written in the first person

My second finish for the week was much better. Technically this was the second time I had read Beloved, but the first time was in high school (the copy I own was a tie-in with the movie, which came out in 1998, when I was 17) and I didn't remember much of anything about it, so it may have well been the first time. Reading it now, I can see why the first reading didn't make much of an impression at the time; there is so much in this book that has to do with the trauma of enslavement, and I just didn't have enough knowledge or life experience back then to fully appreciate it. I clearly didn't understand the main plot point that drives the narrative back then, either. I decided to revisit this after hearing Chelsey and Sara discuss it on an episode of the Novel Pairings podcast, and I am so glad I did. I was absolutely blown away by this book. There are still things I didn't understand, though that didn't take away from my enjoyment of it, and I'd be willing to bet that I would be able to reread this several times in the future and still find new things to be amazed at. I gave it 5 stars.
Bingo square: Modern classic

Not only was Beloved a great book to read, but in finishing it, I also completed a cover-all on my first bingo card!

I am currently reading two books, one on Kindle and one in paper. Katie alerted me to the fact that Jayber Crow, one of her all-time favorites, was a Kindle daily deal the other day, so I didn't hesitate to click buy. I'm about halfway through it now and finding it quite enjoyable. I also started The Rose Code, which I've had on my TBR pile (the physical one) since I found it at Costco a couple of months ago. I'm not very far into it because I've only read for a bit before bed the past couple of nights, but it's already hooked me.

How about you? What are you making and reading this week?


10 comments:

  1. That skein will make the best striped baby sweater, one that any parent would be happy to receive and dress their baby girl in!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Flax Light and that yarn=oodles of goodness. Surprisingly, to me , I have never knitted a Flax sweater, need to rectify this omission. You had some good reads this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That yarn + Flax Light should make one adorable baby sweater. And well done on your coverall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay . . . that sweater is going to be SO adorable. I can't wait to see it all finished up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that yarn! I feel like I've read Beloved, but it would have been in high school and on my own and I don't remember much about it. I need to revisit it! So disappointed to hear that The Whispering House didn't work for you. I'm planning to pick it up later this month and I hope I enjoy it!

    And YAY for Jayber Crow and The Rose Code. You know I loved both. I'm really anxious to hear what you think about Jayber... I felt like he was a male version of me. So much of what he said could have come straight from my brain, lol. (not sure what that says about me, though).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh! And congrats on your cover all :)

      Delete
  6. yay for the cover all!! and bummer about The Whispering House. I'm still waiting to get it from the library and I will read it for MMD's August bookclub. My sister read it and said "it's surprisingly dark". hummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yarn for the Flax sweater looks so bright and happy. Lucky baby to be receiving it. I read Morrison's nonfiction essay "The Source of Self-Regard." In one of those essays, she wrote about how being a mother was a central to the lives of enslaved women. Of course she expressed this thought much more eloquently but you might find the essay interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. nonfiction essays

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know the sweater is finished by now (I already admired it), but I absolutely love the yarn!! I really might make another one for my little niece (and have a look at soft yarn for her ;) ).
    Regarding the books - is there a good book by Morrison one can start with? This is probably a super stupid question, but I haven't read any of her works yet, but would love to. (As far as the ghost story goes - I checked out one from the library, and that one was underwhelming as well.)

    ReplyDelete