Pages

Thursday, September 30, 2021

Three on Thursday: Looking Ahead to October

I can't believe it's the last day of September! Time seems to have gotten into some sort of weird warp this month, as it's simultaneously felt very long and also like it's flown by. I've already talked about it being a stressful month, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who is hoping that October will be calmer. So I'm linking up with Carole and friends today for Three on Thursday, this week with three things I'm looking forward to in the new month.


One of my two full drawers of hand-knit socks


1. Wearing my hand knits
I run cold most of the time, so I always look forward to the time of year when there's a chill in the air and it's reasonable to be wearing wool. My feet especially enjoy being covered in hand-knit socks. Our high temperatures are still running a little above normal these days, but it's starting to cool off enough that my feet are comfortable in wool again. This morning, it was 46F/8C when we got up! So socks will be in the regular rotation now, although sock washing is going to need to look a little different now that Rainbow has moved up into what was the stash room and I'll have to find another place to put my drying racks.

2. Designing more
It's been a pretty crummy year for me in terms of designing and creativity. Whereas in past years I've published roughly one pattern a month, I've only gotten four out so far this year, one of them a third-party pattern that I actually designed last year. I just haven't felt all that inspired. But lately I've gotten some new ideas that I want to swatch, and I feel like I might have a bunch of patterns ready to release in the last months of the year. Fingers crossed!

3. Rhinebeck!
Barring any last-minute changes, I will be on my way to Rhinebeck two weeks from today. I've already reserved the days off from work and purchased a festival shirt that I'll pick up at the fairgrounds. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about being around that many people, but I'm vaccinated, I have a stack of N95 masks to take, and I'm hoping that the safety measures the festival has put in place will be effective. My desire to go this year has less to do with buying stuff and more to do with seeing people, especially my dear friend Amy, whose booth I'll be working in. I have not seen her since December 2019 at the visitation for Scooterpie. This will be the first Rhinebeck without him there, and I can imagine it will be emotional, so while I'll be there to do the physical labor of setting up the booth and selling the yarn and fiber, I can imagine that much of the labor involved will be emotional. I know that many people who normally go to Rhinebeck will be skipping it this year, but if you do plan on being there and want to say hi, I'll post more specific details of where we'll be once I know them.

Is there anything special you're looking forward to in October? I'd love to hear!

8 comments:

  1. Three fiber-related things that sound wonderful! Your sock drawer(s) are quite impressive and I hope you have a wonderful time at Rhinebeck. I'm looking forward to October in general, with cooler weather and Ryan's birthday. It's especially exciting that we will be able to celebrate together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you are going to Rhinebeck. And I looked at the farm site and see a kit for your hat - maybe that will be on my October list?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sock drawer photo! And I think you'll be just fine at Rhinebeck and I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such coziness in that sock drawer! Love that picture. Have a rejoiceful time at Rhinebeck. For what it's worth, I've been around more people than I would have been otherwise, since I've been traveling to be with my brother. I find most people are masked and respectful; as with many things, the anticipation was more uncomfortable than the actual. But it does take some getting used to again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THOSE SOCKS! Your sock drawer is just drool-worthy, Sarah. I have to laugh, though, because I will wear socks (if my feet get cold enough) . . . but I hate to wear shoes OR socks. (I was one of those kids who was always losing track of their shoes and socks because I took them off and just . . . left them. My mom was beside herself most of the time.) And I'm sure Rhinebeck will be very different -- but good all the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The socks look delicious. Oh Rhinebeck, some day I am going to get there - I hope. Hello October!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG you're going to Rhinebeck!!! I wish I could go, too. Maybe I'll get the chance once. I hope it will be a great festival, despite the emotional challenge - I am already wishing you both a lot of strength for that.

    I'll be happy to see what you will be swatching and to see more progress on your current sweater (which looks wonderful by the way and reminds me a bit of "Starry Night") and since I've found that I'd love to knit some more socks, your sock drawer pic really speaks to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am just in AWE of your sock drawerSSSSS wow! I don't have anything as cool as Rhinebeck in my near future, but I am looking forward to cooler temperatures and maybe wearing a few wool sweaters.

    ReplyDelete