Pages

Thursday, March 11, 2021

A Year Later: What I've Gained

It's amazing and yet not entirely surprising that it's been a year since this crazy pandemic started. A year ago (more or less), I was at work at my office for the last time. Traditionally the Friday of spring break week is a day off for staff at the university I work for, so I was looking forward to a Friday off the next day even as I was getting more and more anxious about what was happening in the world. My blog post that morning featured this photo, taken of my then-current lunchtime knitting on top of my work desk:


Later that day, I'd be sent home and told that we were using the rest of that day and the following Monday as a trial period to see how working from home might go. I don't think I need to tell you how that all worked out! Since then, I've been in my office exactly once, when we were allowed to return for a short window one day last summer to retrieve items, though I pass my office building every day on my exercise route.

So many reflections on the past year focus on what we've lost due to the pandemic, and for good reason. But in thinking back, I've realized that I've also gained some really amazing things, too. so that's what I've chose to focus on for Three on Thursday (hosted by Carole) this week.

1. A healthier lifestyle
I'd be lying if I told you that I haven't been indulging in more sweets or drinking more during the pandemic, because I absolutely have. But working from home has also made it easier for me to instill some healthy habits. Because my commute is now a matter of walking up a flight of stairs and I don't feel I have to be fully made up (meaning makeup and hair done and in business casual dress), I'm able to sleep a little later in the morning and get more rest each night. I've also been able to get out and exercise pretty much every day because I can take my lunch break whenever I want. I did a heck of a lot of running last year, and since I did something to my hip last fall, I've been walking a bit more than 4 miles every day. I've gained some muscle definition and probably lowered my resting heart rate, and I feel stronger. I have no doubt that the exercise has helped my stress level (getting out every day in the early days of the pandemic was certainly a huge help), and the habits I've made are ones I'm likely to stick with even when things are closer to normal, whatever that is.

2. Wonderful friends
I had a handful of internet friends before, but when the internet suddenly became the primary way to connect with people, that circle of friends grew and deepened. There is not a day that goes by now that I don't check in with many of you. We're still reading and commenting on each other's blogs and posting on Instagram, but we've also started meeting on Zoom and Google hangouts on a regular basis, formed an online book club, sent each other physical mail, and connected via email and text message. I've long struggled to make new friends as a very introverted and shy adult, so in this respect the pandemic has been a blessing.

3. A deeper sense of self
I regularly kept a journal in my earlier years, but I'd fallen out of practice with it until the pandemic prompted me to start again as a way of documenting this moment in time. Between reflecting each day in my journal, reading more deeply and broadly, having serious conversations with friends, and listening to new podcasts and other media, I've developed a much better sense of who I am, what I value, and how I want to change and grow. I've really grown my self-confidence and become happier with who I am and what I have. I'm sure some of this comes from just getting older (yes, I'm now officially middle-aged!), but the pandemic has also given me some very real perspective on my position in life and society. I know how lucky I am, and I also recognize that my privilege is a gift that enables me to help those who are not so lucky.

We have lost so much this past year, but I hope that every one of you can also look back on this year of sadness and loss and find at least a few good things you've gained as well. As always, I'm happy to have you here as part of my little corner of the internet. I hope you have a lovely weekend, and I will be back on Sunday with some handspun!

6 comments:

  1. A gratitude practice has been life saving this past year. I am grateful too for the women I have met and the deeper connections we have made. I know my experience is different from many. I also know the gift of privilege and I have a better understanding of what that means too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful post, Sarah. So many reflections (my own included) have focused on our huge losses, but as you so nicely point out, there have also been gains. I tend not to think of these first, but I will be following your example and listing my own gains during my walk today. I always look forward to connecting with you through our blog comments, and I always feel I've gained something positive from that connection. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, yes, and yes! I was joking with some (tennis!) friends today that I think this past year has somewhat cured me of having my default response to any request to get together (even online) to be "I'm sorry, but ... no". I honestly love Zoom for being a balance of IRL and "you can't see me from the waist down and I am still in my comfortable place talking to you". It's for sure a year I'd never choose, and never choose to repeat, but it did bring some good lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Bonny, it is so easy to focus on the things that have been lost forever, but yes... there have been some amazingly wonderful things as well! I love our little spinning group! It is something I look forward to with joyful anticipation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way you reframed the last year and focused on the positives. I'm one of the lucky ones and feel like I gained so much more than I lost over the last year, despite some really difficult times. And I also love how much we've all dug into our little blogging circles and enriched our lives by getting to know each other so much better. I haven't been a part of any of the video groups, but I still feel like I have so many more friends thanks to blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love reading this post. Your reflection is genuine and honest. I was just thinking today that the more private kind of life during the pandemic has some advantages for me too.

    ReplyDelete