Pages

Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Another Monday?

Do you ever feel like Monday lasts more than a day? I felt off all day yesterday because I wasn't following my usual schedule. I had to take Rainbow to a dentist appointment in the morning (and ran into another knitter in the waiting room!), which meant I pushed back my daily walk to late afternoon. My head was also feeling wobbly all day from a migraine I had on Sunday. And last night I accidentally walked into the corner of our wooden bed platform and may have broken a toe. So when I woke up this morning, it felt like I was repeating Monday over again. I managed to make coffee but I hadn't actually consumed any yet when I realized that instead of grabbing the jar of cinnamon to sprinkle on my oatmeal, I had actually grabbed smoked paprika. I'm glad I discovered that one before I took a bite! I am certainly hoping that the day only improves from here.

Because of the migraine hangover yesterday, I thought it best to stick to projects that did not require thinking or counting, so I did some spinning and knit on my scrappy charity sock:


I've got about another inch to go on the foot before I start the toe; I've decided for the sake of simplicity to make these socks my size. I have quite a bit of the red/orange/brown variegated yarn I used for the gusset and first part of the foot, but I was getting a bit bored with it and so decided to switch to another yarn for the rest of the foot and toe. I have been weighing each scrap and using half or less of what I have for this sock so that the second one will at least use the same yarns in the same parts of the sock. Because of the self-patterning nature of some of the yarns I've used, I know I won't get a perfect match, but at least I know the socks will look like they belong together.

I got in a ton of knitting time on my Aldous over the weekend, on Sunday especially (I had three Zooms that day!). This sweater is completely different in its construction compared to my previous Isabell Kraemer sweater (my favorite Humulus). It's still top down and in the round and starts with short-row shaping after the collar so that the back of the sweater sits higher than the front, but that's where the similarities end. This sweater has saddle shoulders, meaning that the stitch count for the shoulders don't change until there's enough fabric knit to cover their width. I'm hoping that's something you can see in this photo:


The back (with a decorative purl line down the middle) is at the bottom of this photo, and the blue bead is the beginning-of-round marker. I am now working sleeve increases, which have purl faux seams on either side. If I'm counting correctly, I have about 15 more rounds in this section and seven rounds in the body increase section that follows before I split the sleeve stitches from the body. After that it'll be just lots and lots of stockinette with the occasional purl for a faux seam. Should be good knitting to do while reading!

Today is shaping up to be a busy day at work, with another commencement deadline at noon, and at home -- starting today, we're having our roof replaced! Our house was built in 1931 and still has its original slate roof, but enough slates have fallen off in the past year or two that we decided to bite the bullet and have it done (it helps that the next roof should outlive us). I'm hoping it doesn't get too noisy while the roofers build their scaffolding today for my sake, and I'm hoping that it's decidedly Tuesday for you today!

8 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your very Monday Monday and also for your Monday-ish Tuesday! I hope there is some improvement, but with commencement deadlines and roof replacement, that may be slow in coming. Are you replacing your roof with slate? There was slate on our roof when we bought the house, and the barn had a slate roof, too. We replaced slates over the years, but when it came time to replace the full roof we found that the total cost was more than we paid for the house! We switched to shingles (that may or may not outlast us).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that by the time you read this your headache has vamoosed! The color of your Aldous is indeed lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your scrappy sock and your sweater start is so pretty! I'm wondering, like Bonny, if you are replacing with slate. I love slate roofs...but...$$$$$ I really like smoked paprika...but I'm thinking not on Oatmeal. Hope your toe is ok and that your week is going better now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your headache hangover is better. I have an occasional migraine and they are not much fun. My head is often very tender the next day. I think that saddle shoulder construction is similar to the purple sweater I completed this winter. Actually IK called it a modified raglan with shoulder shaping. At any rate it looks pretty in that red. The scrappy socks will keep someone warm for sure. Uh and skip the smoked paprika on the oatmeal. I use that often in my kitchen too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about the headache. I have had some allergy related head aches the last week - pollen, ugh. Those socks are so fun. I am accumulating plenty of sock yarn scraps so I will be able to make some of those before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really dislike those kind of messed-up days . . . and you really had so many elements conspiring to make it come together. Ugh. Hope you're feeling better today -- and on-track, as well. I really love your scrappy sock! What a clever way to play with your leftovers. XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh Sarah, I sure hope today feels like Wednesday! (and that your toe is ok - ugh) Your sweater is looking lovely. I am so enchanted with all the different construction techniques. Seems like everything fits better when it's not just a top-down raglan with a straight lines of increases!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The socks look great!! Scrap socks always have a certain charm in being so unique. They might not be "harmonious" like a ull skein (or one skein for the main parts and a contrast colour for cuff, heel, and toe), but they are so beautiful in their variety!

    I love your sweater (you are so fast!!!), is this aran weight yarn or something thinner?

    ReplyDelete